Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
TinchoB
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin B

Media Pools and Media Sets Names

Post by TinchoB »

Hello,
I am implementing a new Tape Library. IBM TS4300. Before that, we only had Backup to Disk JOBs to Repository, so I´m quite new regarding Tape "managmenet".

I would like to ask you if someone (based on your experience managing tapes and jobs) could advice me in whats the best way to "name" Media Pools and Media Sets.

We have 8 Backup to Disk JOBs (forward incremental with Friday active FULL + Incremental the other days).
- We defined one Backup to Tape JOB, that executes after the last of the Backup to Disk JOBs ends.
- This Tape Job process all backups produced by the 8 Disk Jobs.
- Tape Job creates a new Media Set every time it executes containing all 8 Disk Jobs data (1 media set per day if all is ok).
- In one week we would have 1 Media Set for FULL (Weekly) and 6 Media Sets for DAILY (Incrementals).
- To acchive that we defined two Media Sets: one for Weeklys (FULL) and one for Daily (Incrementals).

- Our goal is to produce 1 FULL every Week with infinite protection. In practice we will keep the Weekly produced "last Friday of the month" in a safe box for historic purposes (as a kind of a "Monthly"...), while the others Weekly will be erased and reused for next month. About DAILY incrementals they will be rotated/erased after 2 weeks.

In our testing lab all that is working ok, but now we have to implement in production, and so we got to the point were we have to define Media Pools names (for FULL and Incrementals) and Media Set name variables.

What is your experience with that in the long term ? What names and variables are you using ? What do you advice us ?

Thanks you in Advance !!
Regards,

Tincho
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Media Pools and Media Sets Names

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
I would keep it simple and name the "full" pool" "Full weekly" and the incremental one "Incremental daily". I also prefix my media pools with "B2T" (backup to tape) "F2T" (file to tape) and "NDMP", but this seems overkill here.

For the media sets, I would just add "weekly" and "daily" in the beginning.

Best regards,
Hannes
TinchoB
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Martin B

Re: Media Pools and Media Sets Names

Post by TinchoB »

Thank you very much !!