Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Feature Request: GUI based option to change Veeam product logging locations at install time and/or on the fly

Post by edison5000 »

Currently as far as I know, the bulk of the that can be changed, can only be done via registry edits, per https://www.veeam.com/kb1825

Would be ideal to be in the GUI's somewhere for each / all products. Also right now seems like for Veeam One it is not advisable to alter the log location so that isn't a feature, but perhaps that would be a different feature request. ; )

Thanks!
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Feature Request: GUI based option to change Veeam product logging locations at install time and/or on the fly

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

In the ideal world, we see our products working without any issues(and we are close to it! :D) so our customers would never need to seek the logs in the first place. Not to mention moving them over into another location. These are very rare and specific cases that can be either handled on a case-by-case basis via regkeys, or scripted in a mass-deploy scenarios at ease. Having them in the UI will add more options that most customers will never touch.

We do have some ideas in mind to get rid of regkeys in the future. Noted your case as +1 there.

/Thanks!
edison5000
Expert
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: e

Re: Feature Request: GUI based option to change Veeam product logging locations at install time and/or on the fly

Post by edison5000 »

While I appreciate that, this idea that because customers will never need it (and thus, supported it is more work) - I understand. But! I have yet to hear of a typical enterprise product that doesn't create logs somewhere. And as long as logs exist, they are going to consume disk space, even if it is slowly and over time. So far I would say that 9/10 times I submit a ticket that isn't instantly solved, and doesn't need to be xferred to another dept - somebody asks me to submit logs from somewhere. The amount of time I have already spent collecting logs is a lot. And that's just for support; I'm sure there's going to come a time when my supervisors for some reason want to see Veeam backup logs, so there's that. ; )

Now, if you find a way to make the logging infinitesimally small, such that most anyone would never have to worry about them consuming too much disk space - that would be great, and in that case, as you say, this request would become moot.