Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
btkrausen
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Bryan Krausen

Updating to V6 Architecture

Post by btkrausen »

Currently I have two physical Backup servers, both running their own schedule and both with direct SAN access for their respect site. I am now in the process of purchasing a bunch more licensing for 4 other locations that we have VMware deployments, and want to migrate to the new abilites with using a Backup Server, proxies, and repositories attached to the proxies.

My plans:

Step 1: Migrate all the job schedules from the Texas server to the Indiana server. Indiana server will be the Backup server moving forward and will schedule all jobs at all sites.

Step 2: Uninstall Backup server from the Texas server and install the Veeam Proxy.

Step 3: Create proper named backup repositories for each site.

Step 4: Setup new physical server at the four other sites, add them to Backup server as new Proxies, and add the local repositories.

Questions: Does the above sound good? What is the best way to migrate the scheduled jobs from one Backup server to another. Do I need to recreate the jobs in the scheduler? When I tried to Import the backup from the files, it just put the job under the Backups tab and not under Jobs so I can schedule it.

With importing jobs, the jobs should continue as normal, and I'd be able to restore as normal?

Thanks in advance.
Bryan
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Updating to V6 Architecture

Post by tsightler »

Veeam does not import the job definition when you import a backup. When you perform an import operations you are simply importing an old backup to allow you to perform a restore. With V6 you can map a new job to an existing backup file, however, this only works for V6 jobs, and, right now, only if the backup was created with the same V6 server.
btkrausen
Influencer

Post by btkrausen »

Thanks for the help. So what would you suggest as the best way to move the jobs? Should I call the jobs the same, with the same VMs, and simply point them to the same repository? Will that work right?

Or should I just recreate the jobs to a new folder, and keep the existing files around long enough to import for a restore if needed while I catch back up with the new jobs/files.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2842 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I would choose the second option. It's more work during the transition, but is much cleaner and less likely to hit unexpected issues.
btkrausen
Influencer

Post by btkrausen »

Thats the way I've done it in the past and it worked well. Thanks for the assistance