Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
bdoe
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Bryan

Setting up Enterprise Manager

Post by bdoe »

I have been using VBR for several years, so I am familiar with running one server with multiple proxies and repositories. I now need to stand up a new VBR environment across multiple sites, with varying connectivity and storage needs. I have access to Enterprise Manager. While the plan is still coming together, my thought is set up each VBR server independently and use the VEM to manage them. I hope to use different sites as secondary backup locations, but it may not be feasible due to the ISP at some locations.

My first question is SQL. I see VEM supports Express or SQL Server. In what case would I want to run the full edition vs Express for VEM?

Second, each VBR server will need SQL, can they be a mix of Express and Enterprise? On my existing VBR server, I only had to upgrade from Express due to a high number of file to tape jobs. I don't expect that to be a problem at most sites, so my preference would be Express as default and migrate as necessary.

Or is the expectation that the Enterprise Manager server runs a full SQL and all the VBR servers use that instead?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Setting up Enterprise Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Bryan

How is the connection between the different locations? Are you using VPN connection or is it NAT?
Are you a registered Service Provider? If yes, there is also another console you could use for some tasks. The Veeam Service Provider Console.
My first question is SQL. I see VEM supports Express or SQL Server. In what case would I want to run the full edition vs Express for VEM?
Our Best Practice Guide writes about 10GB for 500 VMs and sometimes 50-100% additional space when you upgrade the product.
I would probably go with mssql Standard Edition for the Enterprise Manager if you have more than 150-200 machines to manage. Just to be on the safe side.
With V12, you can migrate VBR and Enterprise Manager to PostgreSQL as a configuration database server. That would solve the issue the 10GB limitation in SQL Express and you don‘t have to buy mssql licenses.
Second, each VBR server will need SQL, can they be a mix of Express and Enterprise?
Each VBR server can use a different sql edition.
Or is the expectation that the Enterprise Manager server runs a full SQL and all the VBR servers use that instead?
The enterprise manager database and the vbr databases doesn‘t have to use the same mssql server. They are independent.
Mssql express is sufficient in most cases. A standard edition is recommended in some situations.

Let me know, if you have additional questions.
Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe »

I hadn't heard that - if I can use PostgresSQL for all of them, that may be the best solution. Otherwise, I'll get two SQL Server seats and run Express for the rest. When is 12 available?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Unfortunately, we don‘t have an release window yet.

If you want to use MSSQL Express, use the MSSQL express instance we install with each vbr.
For the „2 SQL Server seats (Device CAL)“ is best to ask Microsoft if that is compliant with there license agreement. Theoretically, for the enterprise manager you will have many user on different devices connecting to the Enterprise Manager which connects to the MSSQL server.
bdoe
Enthusiast

Post by bdoe »

Thanks. If I can set them up with Express and migrate to PostgresSQL as part of the 12 upgrade, that sounds ideal. I'd rather not spend the money for SQL Server if it can be avoided. However, I had to migrate VBR from Express to SQL Server in the past, so I suppose that's an option as well.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Yes, that would also be possible. Start with MSQL Express and then migrate to the new database when V12 has arrived.

The requirements for the migration and steps will be more clear shortly before the release.