Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Fellensiek

How to STOP EVERYTHING?

Post by HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo »

What's the correct way to "stop everything" within the context of performing maintenance on the VBR server?
The "disable all jobs" approach is not the answer because it doesn't stop other activities like SOBR offloading that appear run frequently with zero advanced notice.
Is there a specific Veeam-related Windows Service on the VBR server that can be stopped instead, to "calm the farm"?
username because using Nutanix Mine with Veeam
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: How to STOP EVERYTHING?

Post by HannesK » 1 person likes this post

Hello,
you can stop the "Veeam Backup Service".

Best regards,
Hannes
HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Fellensiek

Re: How to STOP EVERYTHING?

Post by HiHoItsOffToWorkWeGo »

Here is what worked for us, we use a Nutanix Mine with Veeam:

1. Login to the Nutanix Mine with Veeam FOUNDATION VM (web interface) to put the Nutanix Mine with Veeam into Maintenance Mode. This automatically disables all Veeam jobs that used the Mine SOBR as their target. It also seals all extents of the SOBR located on the Mine.

2. Use PowerShell Stop and Disable all Veeam services on the VBR server:
Get-Service Veeam* | Stop-Service -Force -Verbose
Get-Service Veeam* | Set-Service -StartupType Disabled

3. Perform the maintenance on the VBR server, feel free to reboot the VBR server as many times as needed (e.g. after installing Microsoft Updates, updating SQL 2012 to a supported version or performing a SQL edition upgrade if Express Edition isn't suitable for you anymore if your Veeam database is bigger than 10GB in size, or after installing SQL cumulative updates and any associated security updates etc). The Veeam services will not start since they are still disabled.

*** AFTER THE MAINTENANCE ***

4. Use PowerShell Enable and Start all Veeam services:
Get-Service Veeam* | Set-Service -StartupType Automatic
Get-Service Veeam* | Start-Service -Verbose

5. Login to the Nutanix Mine with Veeam FOUNDATION VM (web interface) and exit the Nutanix Mine with Veeam from Maintenance Mode. This automatically enables all the Veeam jobs that use the Mine SOBR as their target and were previously enabled. It also un-seals all extents of the SOBR located on the Mine.

notes: sometimes during Step 2 above the Veeam services don't want to stop, or prevent each other from stopping. I noticed that the Veeam CDP Orchestration was particularly unwilling to be stopped.
If this happens to you, simply reboot the VBR after setting the service startup-types to disabled, they won't be running after the reboot, and they will not be able to start.
username because using Nutanix Mine with Veeam