Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
asifganai
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Asif Ganai

Object Storage Sizing

Post by asifganai »

Hi,
We are looking at introducing "Object Storage" as a capacity tier within our organization. Our source data is approx. 51TB and I was able to calculate the required space both on premises and on S3 using Veeam Calculator(https://calculator.veeam.com/vbr/).
We will be holding 30 days on premises and 90 days, 4 weekly, 12 monthly, 4 yearly backups on S3.
However, I want to know the amount of data that will be copied every month to S3 in order to budget S3 prices.
Appreciate if you would guide me the right way.
Regards
Asif Ali
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Object Storage Sizing

Post by Mildur »

Hi Asif
However, I want to know the amount of data that will be copied every month to S3 in order to budget S3 prices.
Veeam only offloads unique blocks. So the monthly upload depends on how much changed data was backed up each day. If your incremental backup on-premise is 1TB each day, then Veeam will offload 30TB each month to the object storage.

Important: If you do Synthentic or Active Fulls on the performance tier, veeam will not upload the entire size to object storage. Only unique data will be offloaded.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
asifganai
Influencer

Post by asifganai »

Hi Fabian,
Assuming my incrementals are approx. 250GB every day which means Veeam will offload 250*30=7.5TB every month to S3.
Now 4 Weekly Fulls and a Monthly Full is going to be added on top of it. Right?
And if I use the old dewin calculator(https://rps.dewin.me/), it says for 51TB of source data, synthetic full will be approx. 2.5TB. Does it mean incremental data(7.5TB), 4 weekly fulls synthetic(2.5TB*4=10TB), 1 monthly full synthetic(2.5TB) will be offloaded to S3 every month.
It comes up to a total of 20TB.
The calculator(https://calculator.veeam.com/vbr/) says first month Object Storage consumption will be 64TB and the last month consumption will be 301TB.
I am still confused how it works.
Regards
Asif Ali
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Now 4 Weekly Fulls and a Monthly Full is going to be added on top of it. Right?
No. Even in the case of a active full or synthentic full, only unique blocks (250 GB in your case) are uploaded each day.
You will have the first Full Backup, and then only changes uploaded to object storage.
it says for 51TB of source data, synthetic full will be approx. 2.5TB.
More likely 25 TB. 2.5 TB seems to low. That would be amazing if we could get such a good compression :)
says first month Object Storage consumption will be 64TB and the last month consumption will be 301TB.
I got completely different values:

Calculation summary:

Settings:
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
asifganai
Influencer

Post by asifganai »

Thanks Fabian