Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
tom9909
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas

Excessive Incrementals

Post by tom9909 »

Hi all,

We seem to be getting excessive incremental backups and I'm not 100% on the configuration as to why they aren't being consolidated correctly.

Configuration:
- Hourly backups with 7 day retention
- GFS: 4 weeks (Sunday), 2 months (First)
- Incremental with synthetic full on a Saturday

Issue:
- We seem to be getting 2 weeks of hourly incremental instead of 1 week. Any ideas why and how to resolve this? I suspect its something to do with the GFS on a Sunday but the Synthetic Full occurring on a Saturday but again not 100% sure.

Additional Question:
- Is the consolidation of weekly/month dependent on the creation of the synthetic fulls which occur on the Saturday, if not then perhaps they aren't required?
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Re: Excessive Incrementals

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello, this is common using forward incremental, I am positive that you didn't created the job on a saturday, perhaps it was during the week, so that will be extra points.

If you are concerned about it, add synthetic as well some more days during the week, like every other day, and you will see much less points, remember that the synthetic will be an incremental in terms of time, plus the merge of data, hoping you have ReFS/XFS.

Give it a try on a test job before.

Keep us posted
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
tom9909
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas

Re: Excessive Incrementals

Post by tom9909 »

Hi Jorge,

Thanks for the reply.

Indeed the job would have been created during the week, so that must explain the additional incrementals.

If I add additional synthetic fulls every other day, wont that consume additional disk space, even though we are using ReFS?