Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
cdsg
Lurker
Liked: never

Ubuntu 22.04 / mlocate

Post by cdsg »

Running a Veeam Backup job for our first Ubuntu 22.04 LTS virtual machine and Veeam is throwing a warning: Failed to index guest file system. mlocate was not found.

It appears that Ubuntu 22.04 has phased out the old "mlocate" package with a new package called "plocate" - Running "apt install mlocate" actually installs the new "plocate" in its place. It seems like it operates identically however Veeam is unable to identity it.

Code: Select all

# dpkg --list | grep locate
ii  mlocate                               1.1.15-1ubuntu2                              all          transitional dummy package
ii  plocate                               1.1.15-1ubuntu2                              amd64        much faster locate
# updatedb -V
updatedb (plocate) 1.1.15
Copyright (C) 2007 Red Hat, Inc. All rights reserved.
This software is distributed under the GPL v.2.

This program is provided with NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law
I didn't find any other posts about it on this forum. Any clue as to when support for this new change will be added? Other than the guest file system indexing failing the backups operate correctly.

Veeam version 11.0.1.1261 P20220302
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Ubuntu 22.04 / mlocate

Post by Andreas Neufert »

I think you can just create a symlink from mlocate to plocate if I remember right. I think if you google you will find some examples.

Btw. Indexing is only needed for a very specific usecase. It is NOT needed for general file level recovery.
You can do file level recovery from Backup & Replication or from Enterprise Manager with mounting the back and browsing through the content.
Indexing is only used within Enteprise Manager if you want to search for files (in the backup catalog) without mounting the backups.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Ubuntu 22.04 / mlocate

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Or this one could be a way out: https://github.com/vmware/photon/issues/1075