Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cag
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Conrad Gotzmann

Clean Install Fails

Post by cag »

Created new VM Windows7 Utl. 32bit. Install V6 Veeam. I get the following error during install.

Setup was unable to restart "Veeam Backup Catalog Data Service" Service

Retry / Cancel.

If I start from services it complains a dependant service fails , but I checked they are all running.

With a complete clean install this should work without any problems. Is V6 production ready. I downloaded the trial software. Do I need a different download ?
Sethbartlett
Veteran
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Seth Bartlett

Re: Clean Install Fails

Post by Sethbartlett »

V6 is production ready, are you getting any errors in the event logs? I have seen a few rare cases where some catalog information does not get created properly because of odd permissions and a few files can be created manually to fix this. Please make a ticket with our support team and upload screenshots of the event logs with the errors, etc.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
Twitter: @sethbartlett
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
cag
Enthusiast

Post by cag »

Old Permission of what this is a clean install. New OS and new Veeam. Doesn't sound promising if the products fails within 15 minutes of first install.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It's hard to troubleshoot your issue without seeing full log files, that is why we always recommend to contact our support team directly. Thanks!
cag
Enthusiast

Clean Install Fails Solution for Win7 OS. V6

Post by cag »

[merged]

I made a clean install of Win7 Ultimate with clean VMEEAM V6 install and ran into a problem with the VBR Catalog server starting during install. Seems the programers did not pay attention to detail and know the all users do not have permission to the default install folder that veeam is using c:\VBRCatalog (Windows7 OS) I changed this to C:\ProgramData\Veeam\VBRCatalog and the installer works properly.
I am not sure if Windows 7 is a supported OS but I would hope so. At Least a can start testing again.
Sethbartlett
Veteran

Post by Sethbartlett »

We state that we support Win 7 SP1. Per our User's Guide: Local Administrator permissions on the Veeam Backup & Replication console to install Veeam Backup & Replication. If you do not have full permissions with the account you are using to install Backup & Replication, it is out of our programmer's hands and into yours at this point.
Skype: Sethbartlett88 - Make sure to label who you are and why you want to add me ;)
If my post was helpful, please like it. Sometimes twitter is quicker to hit me up if you need me.
cag
Enthusiast

Post by cag »

This is a MS Thing. c:\any folder requires elevation to use even as a full administrator.
Tried with local admin and domain account. The default folder c:\vbrcatalog install fails (try it on a clean windows 7 install) . Even tried using run as administrator still fails. Your installer should not use this as a default install folder.
Sethbartlett
Veteran

Post by Sethbartlett »

Have you also made sure to Right Click Installer -> Run as Administrator? This is a default location across the board and does not happen on all instances of Windows 7 and as stated before, is very rare. I have seen cases of this happening maybe 10 times since version 5 and this exact same issue existed then.
cag
Enthusiast

Post by cag »

Yes run as administrator also fails.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Just to update on this, our QC could not confirm the issue on clean Windows 7 install, so more information is needed here - please, open the support case. Thanks!