Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
barrett27
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created

Post by barrett27 »

Hello,
please I need a clarification about the "Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created" option when configuring scale-out with Object Storage as capacity tier.

When we created the scale-out for the first time, we enabled it and for a long time we have seen starting many offload jobs both for single jobs ("job name"+offload) and for scale-out (scale-out+"scale-out name"+offload)

Now we have disabled the option in order to have less concurrent offload jobs and in fact what I see is only the scale-out offload jobs, but they say always "0 backups will be copied to the capacity tier" even if the backup jobs with the scale-out as target are ending fine

The question is: when disabling the copy option, should I expect that no more backups will be copied to the capacity tier?

Thank you

db
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
when you disable offloads / copy, then nothing gets offloaded / copied, correct.
in order to have less concurrent offload jobs
can you maybe elaborate on this? because offload jobs have lowest priority and should not affect backup performance. And there is also a setting on tasks concurrency per object storage to reduce load.

Best regards,
Hannes
barrett27
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by barrett27 »

Thank you Hannes
when you disable offloads / copy, then nothing gets offloaded / copied, correct.
So, unchecking "Copy backups to object storage as soon as they are created" = Any copy disabled, right?

I thought this option only affected the way the offload is done ("as soon as they created" vs something like "NOT as soon they created")
can you maybe elaborate on this? because offload jobs have lowest priority and should not affect backup performance
It's not about backup performance, but timeout errors.
I thought that limiting the number of concurrent jobs, I could avoid them

db
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2889 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

yes, unchecking the "copy" box means that there is no copy.
It's not about backup performance, but timeout errors.
I recommend to check with support. please post the case number for references.