Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
matteu
Veeam Legend
Liked: 114 times

question about archive tier

Post by matteu »

Hello,

I'm not sure I understand correctly the archive option tier : "Archive backup only if the remaining retention time is above minimal storage period". In my case it's 180 days for azure.
If I let it checked, does this mean there will not be any move from capacity to archive tier before 180 days after the first time my backup job is launched ?

Thanks for your answer.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: question about archive tier

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Matteu

With cloud archive storages, you have a minimum required data storage duration. For azure, it‘s 180 days, for AWS, it‘s 90 days.

Imagine, you want to offload a gfs restore point with just 1 month retention left. You offload it to the archive storage. Veeam now wants to delete this gfs after one month on the archive tier.
You will have to pay aws or azure an early deletion penalty because you haven‘t stored it for the minimum required duration.

This settings protects you from this costs. Our product will not move restore points to the archive tier, if the remaining retention of the gfs restore point is under the minimum storage duration.

Hope that explains it
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Thanks for your answer.

What I would like :
1 backup / day on premise + cloud
1 monthly on premise + archive

On the backup job I use 31 days retention and use 12 monthly GFS.

On SOBR I use copy backup as soon as they are created on capacity tier and on archive tier I choose archive GFS backup older than 31 days and I let check "Archive backup only if the remaining retention time is above minimal storage period".

This option avoid to archive weekly GFS if I understand it correctly because 4 weekly = 30/31 days retention and it's < 180.
But for monthly it's 365 > 180

Am I right ?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Matteu

Weekly backups will never be offloaded with your settings. A short term retention of 31 days doesn‘t create weekly gfs restore points. You must configure the weekly gfs retention if you want to flag them as a gfs restore point.
This option avoid to archive weekly GFS if I understand it correctly because 4 weekly = 30/31 days retention and it's < 180.
But for monthly it's 365 > 180
You assumption is correct. Only gfs restore points which have left at least 180 days of retention on the day of the archive tier offload will be offloaded with this option.
It would prevent offloading weekly backups, assuming you only keep them for 4 weeks.
The monthly backups can be offloaded, because they have still a retention of 335 days left when your policy has to offload one.
matteu
Veeam Legend

Post by matteu »

Yes sorry, I didn't explain it with enough details but of course if I talked about weekly GFS, I mean enable GFS weekly :)

and ok for monthly :)

Thanks for these explanations :)
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome :)