Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Data Platform
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran
Liked: 58 times

VeeamONE logs in as local domain, not intended domain

Post by AlexLeadingEdge »

Hi guys,

I have today installed VeeamONE 11a. I've added the credentials of the Virtual Hosts I want to monitor, but the Backup Server isn't domain joined and has its own passwords.

When the Backup Server tries to connect, it tries to log in as the local domain (the backup server's name), not the domain of the Virtual Hosts, generating dozens of error messages.
Error
-
12/07/2022 3:16:33 pm

Fired by event: 4625 Microsoft-Windows-Security-Auditing
Event description: An account failed to log on.
Failure Reason: Unknown user name or bad password.
Account Name: BackupUser
Account Domain: BACKUPSERVERNAME

Initiated by: n/a

Anyone know how I can get it to stop doing this?
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Re: VeeamONE logs in as local domain, not intended domain

Ah, I didn't realise that the Virtual Host needs to have a "Guest OS Credential" for itself. I think I saw something during the install that mentioned that, but didn't really pay attention to it. In my mind a Virtual Host OS isn't a Guest OS. There was also incorrect login data in the Data Protection View.

It is actually a bit of a pain, since we have effectively five domains, one for each of the three hosts, one of the VMs, and one for the backup server. It means I can't click on the "Use parent or default credentials" for all the VMs as it then takes it from the Virtual Host, which is wrong.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Alex,
Thank you so much for the feedback. Let me double check if with the new credentials manager coming in v12 this has had any improvement, I think yes.

Regarding the Data Protection View, do you mind sharing an screenshot perhaps?

Best regards
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 168 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Alex,

Please try to follow these steps to monitor Backup Server which is not joined to the domain.

Thanks
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

jorgedlcruz wrote: Jul 12, 2022 5:02 amRegarding the Data Protection View, do you mind sharing an screenshot perhaps?
There isn't much to see any more.

Under Backup Infrastructure > BACKUPSERVERNAME > Backup Proxies > VM Proxies , the Connection Settings data were all wrong because the Virtual Hosts are not domain joined.

One of the Backup Replositories also had to be reconfigured because the Repository is within the company domain while the backup server is not.
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 619 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz » 1 person likes this post

Hello Alex,
We have different credentials for different purposes, let's see:
  • VMware - Connection Settings > These are the credentials that you need in order for us to monitor your VMware Environment, it can be domain-based, or vsphere SSO the usual vsphere.local, depending on your configuration.
  • VMware - Guest OS Credentials > These are the credentials that we will try to use to monitor, and alert, Guest OS Services/Processes. These are not required, or needed at all, just in case you want to monitor a bit more than VMware, and even let Veeam monitor your GuestOS Services/Processes, then you need it.
  • Data Protection View Credentials > These are the credentials that we use to connect to VBR and to the Proxies to get CPU/RAM/Disk, etc. using WMI.
Bottom line:
If you like to monitor your GuestOS (as said, not required really if you are not gonna use it), either Linux or Windows, with different credentials than your ESXi, you can do that today:

The new credentials manager in v12, will let you choose in bulk credentials for all your Guest OS, like here, which I think is great:

Or choose credentials granularly for your proxies as well, if not the same as the VBR, like here:

If any problem is happening today like those errors, it could be WMI, and Roman's link could help. Otherwise, I would recommend creating a ticket so we can investigate a bit more what could be wrong.

Hope this information could help you, and perhaps v12 with the dropdown credentials could make this task easier.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion
AlexLeadingEdge
Veteran

Hi Jorge,

The issue has been resolved, but good to know that v12 will have this feature, I look forward to it!