Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mark49808
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times

Architecture question regarding a global / distributed deployment

Post by mark49808 »

We have a global deployment of Veeam 11a that is similar to the "Distributed Deployment" recommended here https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110

We traditionally back things up within a site, but have certain workloads that we would like to make a second copy in another site (that already has a Veeam deployment). This poses a problem with the recommendation to not share a repository server between two backup servers. But I want to copy certain data between two sites ideally with using the same storage devices to store it. I can see the following 3 options.

1) Ignore the recommendation, and set up a somewhat complicated mix where I define the Repository server in Site B, on the Backup server in Site A. And other way around. But of course on different folder paths to avoid conflicts. This becomes a bit difficult to manage through upgrades, changes, etc. Turns into a bit of a mess but it does seem to work.

2) Buy and define dedicated "copy" servers to replicate Site A to Site B, etc. But this also gets a bit messy and is a bit expensive.

3) Collapse the B&R environment to no longer user the Distributed Deployment, and instead have it all managed by one central backup server. So then all repositories globally would be owned by one backup server making things easier to define/manage. But is not ideal as everything is in one console and I'd prefer separation by site.

How have other people solved this problem? It seems managing secondary copies in a Distributed Deployment is a bit problematic as you cant easily leverage existing storage already used by Veeam without going off reccomedation.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Architecture question regarding a global / distributed deployment

Post by foggy »

All options are possible and common, depending on the preference. Option 1 would work given the path separation and if you keep an eye on the servers' load (concurrent tasks) since both installations will assign tasks to the same servers without knowing about each other.