Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
angtl91
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alan Ang

FC SAN connection for local server storage

Post by angtl91 »

Hi guys, we are planning to configure one of the servers as Linux backup repository.
When we trying to add this Linux repository to VBR, it needs us to insert the FQDN / IP of the server which I think is running with Ethernet connection.
Since the server was equipped with HBA card, is it possible for us to add this linux repository to VBR with FC SAN connection? How we can do it?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2287 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: FC SAN connection for local server storage

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Alan

Veeam communicates over an IP network connection with the repository server. You can‘t connect a repository only per FC.

A short google search shows me, that there is a solution called IP over FC (IPFC). But that seems to be too complex to implement and outside of veeams configuration.
Can you tell us why you want to connect the vbr over fc with the repository server? What is your goal?
And can you tell me what proxy server do you want to use? Virtual ones? Physical ones?

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
angtl91
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Alan Ang

Post by angtl91 »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the explanation. If this is the case, I believe the HBA card will be used for proxy server with direct SAN access (transport mode)?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2287 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You‘re welcome.

Yes, that makes sense then. You still have to add the server with the ipaddress/fqdn as a VmWare Proxy. And please make sure to follow the requirements. The FC adapter will only be used to access the SAN.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software