Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
scrat
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Microsoft Failover Cluster - File Server

Post by scrat »

Hi all,

I have a microsoft failover cluster serving as a file server, does anyone know if it's better to add the shares through "SMB share" in Veeam Backup, or better to add the microsoft failover cluster through a "protection group"?
My idea was to add the shares through "SMB share" to take advantage of CFT, and then the microsoft failover cluster through a "protection group" to backup both nodes (only OS).

I know that more licensing is needed if I use SMB Shares, but it can be assumed that there is a benefit to using CFT.

Thanks!
Best regards.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Microsoft Failover Cluster - File Server

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.
if it's better to add the shares through "SMB share" in Veeam Backup, or better to add the microsoft failover cluster through a "protection group"?
For Veeam sales, it's better do use NAS Backup :-)

The agent has Change Block Tracking (CBT). As long as you want to back up everything, chances are very good, that the agent is faster, more efficient and cheaper. If you want to back up only a few shares, then the agent probably has to switch to file-based backup. Then NAS backup is usually faster.

Best regards,
Hannes
scrat
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Post by scrat »

Thanks HannesK! Why do you say it's cheaper? A server is 1 VUL, while a NAS is 1 VUL per 500GB.

As far as I can see it is not possible to add the same server with different IPs, correct? The idea was to add one file server per Microsoft Failover Cluster role. I guess I will have to add the disks as SMB Shares instead.

Regards.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
well, I did not expect that anyone with a failover cluster would have less than 1TB data (2 VUL) :-) Agents are almost always cheaper than NAS licenses.
As far as I can see it is not possible to add the same server with different IPs, correct? The idea was to add one file server per Microsoft Failover Cluster role. I guess I will have to add the disks as SMB Shares instead.
sorry, I cannot follow what was configured. Shared disks can be configured as source volume in the Veeam Agent for Windows backup. Otherwise there would be no cluster backup.

https://www.veeam.com/kb2463 describes it step by step

Best regards,
Hannes