Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
jlb4350
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Backup Verification Reports

Post by jlb4350 »

Hello all. I am using the latest version of Veeam B&R and have a question maybe someone can help answer.

Each year I am supposed to generate a report that shows all the directories/files that I am backing up on a regular basis as well as spot-check test restores of such files. I have three backup servers, each backing up different specific machines, probably around 70 machines total.

We recently migrated from Veritas Backup Exec to Veeam. When I had Backup Exec, I would achieve this report by querying the BE SQL database (which would give me a listing in a cvs file of all the files/directory paths that were included in all the backup jobs), and I would manually do random test restores and take screenshots of them.

Now that I'm using Veeam, what would be the best way to generate such a report? I also have Veeam Enterprise Manager and Veeam ONE, and all of our licenses are universal. I have played around with Veeam ONE to try to do this, but it appears that many of the reporting features are geared towards virtual machines. My environment actually doesn't have any VMs; I'm using solely windows agents and NAS filers/SMB shares. I have also looked into a feature called SureBackup, but it seems to be only applicable to virtual machines as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup Verification Reports

Post by Mildur »

Hello

Backup verification means testing the restore. OS can power on, files can be restored and Applications can be started.

You can start the veeam agent backups in a instant vm recovery session (if you have a hypervisor) to do a manual verification (can be scripted). SureBackup Jobs are on our roadmap for Veeam Agents.

If you just want to know which files are backed up, you have to mount the restore point and get through all files. The backup server doesn‘t store a list of backed up files in the database.
You can use „Data Integration API“ to automatize this data collection.

If you just want to have a job configuration dump, you can use Veeam One. We have a job configuration dump report.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/one/r ... ml?ver=110

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jlb4350
Novice
Liked: 2 times

Re: Backup Verification Reports

Post by jlb4350 »

Ok thank you for your reply and help. I'll give these a try and report back!