Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

backup proxy

Post by mporliod »

to backup data on object storage there is no need for a dedicated proxy, I can use the proxy role of the veeam server.
it's right ?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2288 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: backup proxy

Post by Mildur »

Hi Massimiliano

For accessing Object Storage, a gateway server is required. Each performance tier extend acts as a gateway server per default.
There is one exception, in case you are using a Hardened Repository. VBR will then use the backup server as the gateway server.

If you want to choose a dedicated server as the gateway server, you can configure it in the object storage properties. You can configure any managed server with windows or linux as the gateway server. Just not a hardened repository.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mporliod
Expert
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: massimiliano porliod

Post by mporliod »

let me explain better, I have a host with vmware, with 4 virtual machines and the virtual veeam server.
I make the first backup copy on a nas (qnap), I would like to make a second copy on object storage.
my question is to make the second copy on object storage do I have to install a dedicated vm with the role of proxy?
in this way the proxy does it the Vm of the veeam server.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2288 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You can use the virtual Veeam server, you don't have to add another VM if current one has enough resources available todo the offload.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software