Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Fox54
Enthusiast
Liked: never

backup to usb drive

Post by Fox54 »

Hi

In my setup, i use replication between one ESXi and ESX servers and i want to use backup to usb drive to have the vm in a safe place. I installed the usb drive on the pc running Veeam backup

Is it better to backup from the production server to the usb disk or from the replica to the usb disk ?

Also, if let's say the pc running Veeam is defective and i reinstall Veeam on another PC, how can i failover to a particular date and time ?

Thanks,
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6633 times

Re: backup to usb drive

Post by Gostev »

Hello, in terms of performance and manageability (in order to be able to take USB drive with you) I believe it would be best to backup locally to Veeam Backup server, and use post backup script functionality to copy backup files to USB hard drive.

If you are using remote SQL, then you can simply reinstall Veeam Backup and connect it to the existing database. If you are using local SQL install (default) and loose the VM along with SQL database, then you can only failover to the latest state and not to earlier point in time.

Thank you.
Fox54
Enthusiast

Post by Fox54 »

You mean from the copy the backup file from the Veeam backup Server (the PC running Veeam) to the USB disk?

But from which location (Production ESXi server or from my backup/replica ESX server) do i take the backup from ?

For the lost of the SQL database : since i am using the SQL Express, what would be the way to start the latest point in time in case of loosing the database ?
Start directly the replica from the VI Infrastructure client or reinstall Veeam and launch the failover command ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

1. I meant you need to take backup file from local hard disk on your Veeam Backup server (wherever you point your backup job to). Just copy the whole folder with backup files from local disk to USB disk.

2. Yes, simply start the replica directly with VIC. This will start the latest state.
Fox54
Enthusiast

Post by Fox54 »

I understand this point but is it preferable that the backup job backups up the production server or the replica server ?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

In most cases, it is best is to backup source (original) data, and not the copy of this data. What if copy goes wrong for some reason, or replica file gets corrupted, or something like this? You would end up backing up corrupted data, which is not a good thing...