Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Case 05559827

Post by theviking84 »

Please see the diagram I attached to the ticket. Support doesn't seem to have a good answer so far.

I have 2 SOBR, each sobr backups up vms from its own vcenter.

The issue is, I can't restore a vm that was originally backed up from vcenter A to vcenter B environment.

Support did check teh logs and we found that access denied when talking to vcenter. It seems that Veeam is sending the credentials for the wrong vcenter upon restore. It does not ask me to enter in credentials on restore, and it already has both vcenter credentials stored in its config database.

Main questions are, is this a feature request, or is there some way to tell Veeam to use the "destination vcenter creds" for doing a restore to that vcenter.

Again, please view the visio I attached to my ticket to help you visualize this.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Case 05559827

Post by foggy »

Hi David, I can see that the case is being escalated to a higher tier - this is actually what I was going to advise if it is not moving forward. Let's give our engineers some time to review the case, meanwhile, just a wild guess - does a vSphere account used to add the target vCenter to Veeam B&R has rights to create VMs there?
theviking84
Expert
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: David Dunworthy

Post by theviking84 »

It does. The same account is used to perform restores from the sobr that backed up vms from that vcenter. No issues when this happens.

Only time it says no permissions is when you are restoring "across" vcenters. It really seems that Veeam is just using the source vcenter creds instead of destination, going by the vcenter the vm was backed up "from" no matter where it will be restoring "to".
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Understood, let's see what a higher-tier engineer comes up with after reviewing the case.