Agentless, cloud-native backup for Microsoft Azure
YouGotServered
Service Provider
Liked: 51 times
Full Name: Cory Wallace

Which Azure VM Characteristics does Veeam Restore?

Post by YouGotServered »

Forgive me if this is documented in the user guide, but I couldn't find it. I'll happily take a link. All I could see was some IPv6 persistence limitations.

If I restore an Azure VM backup to a new instance instead of an existing one, it seems that I have to re-specificy some settings that I was hoping Veeam may have a way of knowing or backing up, such as automatic VM shutdown time and the VM size / class.

So just for my own knowledge, what information about a VM is Veeam capable of "remembering" and storing alongside the VM, and what information should we document about our VMs in Azure for easy reference should we need to restore and reconfigure?

Does anyone have an easy way of pulling that useful VM information (or do we just have to use an ARM template export or something)?

Thank you!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Which Azure VM Characteristics does Veeam Restore?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi Cory,

VB for Azure restores disks and NIC data, all the rest has to be specified manually. Is there any list of settings you would like to preserve (are mandatory for you)?

Thanks!
YouGotServered
Service Provider

Post by YouGotServered »

Hi Vitaliy,
Thanks for the response.

When restoring to a new location / VM, I think it would be very handy if Veeam would remember and suggest the original VM size / class. Maybe autoselect it, or have a note that says "The original VM is B2S".

I don't work in Azure very often, so I think some Azure experts may be able to weigh in here better than me, but I'd also think that any auto shutdown timers would be good. I don't know if there are any other useful settings for Veeam to remember / suggest when restoring.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Cory,

The VM size should be automatically suggested based on the original settings. If this does not happen, I will ask our QA team to log a bug for this.

Thanks!
YouGotServered
Service Provider

Post by YouGotServered »

Vitaliy,

I just did some more testing and can confirm that when restoring the VM to Azure from a backup copy job (from Azure blob to on prem-repo), the VM size automatically defaults to "Basic_A0", which is the first in the list. (Edit - screenshot link: https://ibb.co/Cv832QY)

I did confirm that when restoring from the original backup managed by the Azure appliance, it did in fact select the correct size when "Restoring to a new location, or with different settings".

So, is there any way to make it auto-select or auto-remind the original VM size when restoring from a backup copy job? I could see for example if you tried to restore to a new region where that VM size isn't available, at least you would get a notice reminding you of the original size :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hey Cory,

Let me bring this up to the VBR team, as this is them who provides this wizard. Awesome research, btw!

Thanks!
YouGotServered
Service Provider

Post by YouGotServered »

Happy to help, thanks for looking into it!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

The requirement to address this has been scheduled to the next minor update after v12. Thanks!