Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RonaldTop
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronald Top

Veeam v6 Question which I do not see in the release notes...

Post by RonaldTop »

Hi All,

i have 2 questions which I cannot find in the release notes or what's new notes.. Hope you can help me out here.

Question 1:
The most important quesion I have for Veeam v6 if you can specify the same datafile for different jobs to improve deduplication. In v5, as we have it now, datafiles are per job, so dedup is per job. If we can specify the same datafile for different jobs, that would allow us to create more parralel jobs which in turn increases performance througput and minimize failure risks.

Question 2:
Because we have large jobs, some jobs take more than 10 hours to complete. If I have to do a restore from files from VMs that are member of that job and the job is still running, I cannot restore them because Veeam tells me the file is locked. Is this resolved in Veeam v6?

Hope you can provide me some answers.

Best regards,

Ronald Top
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Veeam v6 Question which I do not see in the release note

Post by foggy »

Ronald,

1. Each v6 job stores its data in a separate folder so, as in v5, deduplication is also possible within a job only.
2. To perform a restore, Veeam B&R obviously needs to access the backup file. If backup job is running and reversed incremental mode is used, the file needs to be locked while backup is underway as job writes data to this file. However, this is not an issue if you are using forward incremental mode as the previous restore point is not touched during incremental run. No changes in v6 regarding this actually.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

About point 1, the onyl way to have deduplication across jobs is to use small job sets and a deduplication appliance as repository. Those kind of machines can do comparison between different jobs and deduplicate them.
You need to find a balance for the number of VMs in a job between deduplication rations (many VMs) and job size and "handling" of backup files (few VMs).

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
RonaldTop
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Ronald Top

Post by RonaldTop »

All,

Thanks for your replies. I was already afraid for dedup I need to buy a dedup appliance. For the second point, the job was indeed setup with reversed incrementals. I'' try with forward incrementals.

Thanks.

BR,

Ronald