Backup of NAS, file shares, file servers and object storage.
noire111
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Jon Rush

Veeam B&R fails to write file larger than 15TB on Truenas ZFS Raid2z SMB share

Post by noire111 »

Hi there everyone,
I am trying to use a zfs raidz2 pool (SMB share with LZ4 compression and 128k record) as repository for Veeam, i have a backup of a physical server to do.it has already failed (after 5 days of data transfer) because the single file size exceeds the 15tb. I did not set any filesize limitation either on Veeam or Truenas.
I've tried to have a look around but haven't find a solution about the issue.
Anyone who could point me to the right direction? What am I missing?
Thanks!!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam B&R fails to write file larger than 15TB on Truenas ZFS Raid2z SMB share

Post by Andreas Neufert »

On our side there is no file size limitation. I would check TrueNAS log on the timestamp when it happened and open a ticket at TrueNAS.
I know that other vendors have some max file size limitation configuration options, but did not find anything for TrueNAS.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Re: Veeam B&R fails to write file larger than 15TB on Truenas ZFS Raid2z SMB share

That said we are using the SMB client of the local operating system of the selected Gateway Server (for the SMB Repository). This OS need to support as well filesizes over SMB larger than 16TB. All actual Windows Versions support this.
noire111
Influencer

Post by noire111 »

Hi there Andreas and thanks for your reply.
I might be wrong but maybe it could be with 128k records (should be at least 1MB i think as suggested from someone?) and/or maybe "default shares parameters"?
I will attach a couple of screenshot one is about the error one is about the shares parameters. Maybe is share parameter issue (I cannot find Logs under the configuration wheel).

Thanks!
noire111
Influencer

Post by noire111 »

oh and yea we are using windows server 2016 installed on phisical device to backup, windows 10 pro where Veeam is installed and repo is again truenas zfs raid2z lz4 compression 128k records :)
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Many of similar storages as TureNAS have some limitations independent from the used filesystem maximum file sizes. So please reach out to the TrueNAS vendor
noire111
Influencer

Post by noire111 »

allright, i also posted on truenas forum and they said to ask in Veeam forums :) well ill try to figure something out thanks again!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

This is strange. We do not have any limitation regaring this in the product.
Maybe use a data generator on the Veeam Gateway Server (that is used for the SMB Repository) and generate a larger than 16TB file.

That way you could verify on what end the issue is.

As well you could open a support case to let our team have a look at the logs to analyse what exactly happened.
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 308 times

Post by david.domask »

Hi,

I think the warning is unrelated. That is controlled by an internal value that warns on some systems if the file size is > 15 TiB, and you can override that here: post206063.html#p206063

The actual error from your screenshot is reconnectable protocol device was closed. I'm not super convinced that it's about filesize so much as just the connection to the TrueNAS closed, but it's best to check the target agent logs and the TrueNAS logging to understand why the connection was closed out. Unless the volumes backing are ext3/4, I really have trouble believing it's file size related as ZFS should handle up to 16 Exabyte files. However the data mover agent logging will tell a lot more.

So I recommend a case and ask the engineer to check the target agent logs to better understand where the connection was closed from. /var/log from the TrueNAS device would help immensely potentially.
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst
alex1992
Novice
Liked: 3 times

Post by alex1992 »

Did you resolve this issue? I did start getting same error for file >15 TB on TrueNas share.
3 exact same TrueNas servers same error for Copy Backup Job.
Case # 05701576
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello alex1992,

Please keep working with our support team and let us know how the investigation goes. Thank you!