Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
antonio.paradiso
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Antonio Paradiso

Veeam 9.5 U4 restore point

Post by antonio.paradiso »

Hi,
I am using Veeam Backup and Replication version 9.5 U4 which I cannot update at the moment.
I am experiencing a problem related to the cancellation of the old restore points.
A job with 14 restore points and a synthetic full is configured every Friday. Due to an incorrect job configuration, the synthetic full has not been executed for some time. In this way Veeam has generated many restore points. However, although now the full ones are correctly running, all the old restore ponits are not deleted from Veeam. I'm not a Veeam expert, but I guess Veeam needs to automatically delete restore points beyond the configured retention. Can you tell me how I can resolve this situation?

Best regards
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam 9.5 U4 restore point

Post by Mildur »

Hi Antonio

Welcome to the R&D Forums.

Yes, VBR should remove the older restore points. But only after there are new Backup Chains for the configured retention period.
With a retention of 14 restore points and weekly synthetic fulls, the older backups should get removed after approximately 14-21 days since you repaired the job configuration.
We cannot delete the old backup files as long a one of the restore points are in the 14 days period.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software