PowerShell script exchange
BosPatrollie
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Dawid Esterhuizen

Setting Up Conditional execution

Post by BosPatrollie »

Good day All,

I am new to Veeam and an absolute kiddie when it comes to scripting, so I am pleading for assistance from someone who might know.

a Customer's backup solution is as follows:

Veeam to do the backups (weekly full on a Saturday followed by daily incrementals)
WinSCP to replicate copies of the vbk and vib files to an off-site FTP server.

The machines being backed up are all servers and all Hyper-V VMs.

I am experiencing an issue which I have an idea of how to, perhaps, work around, but lack the know-how. The issue is this:

The weekly full backups are on average 1.5TB in size. So once the backup is complete, the replication to FTP kicks off. Well, actually, I didn't word that correctly. The backup runs at 19h00 irrespective. I have a scheduled task set up to launch WinSCP FTP replication at 02h00 daily. Mostly the backups are complete by 02h00 when the replication kicks off and then WinSCP starts to replicate the new file/s to the FTP server. Usually, with the full backups, due to their size, the replication takes a long time to complete and often, it overruns into the new backup slot. So the replication for Saturday's backup overruns into the incremental backup for launching at 19h00 Sunday and then that just messes up all sorts with bandwidth.

Long story short ... I was thinking of putting some sort of 'conditional execution' in place for Veeam where I tell it to check if WinSCP is running and if it is, kill it's process and only then launch.

Is there any way for me to achieve this?

Much appreciated.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Setting Up Conditional execution

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dawid

Any reason why it has to a FTP Server?

Veeam has support for many offsite storage solutions:
- Veeam Cloud Connect
- Object Storage Support
- Tape
- External Drive (Rotated)

If you use Veeam Methods to do a backup copy, then you can solve many issues (bandwidth, restore visibility, single pane of management, storage requirements) from that environment.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
david.domask
Veeam Software
Liked: 322 times

Re: Setting Up Conditional execution

Post by david.domask »

Hi @BosPatrollie,

I would second Mildur's question -- is FTP absolutely essential? You could save a lot of coding stress (and unnecessary Failed jobs) if you could present this share as NFS/SMB :)
David Domask | Product Management: Principal Analyst