Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
apolloxm
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Can I deploy a second VBR Server

Post by apolloxm »

Hi,

We are using Veeam Enterprise Manager to central control Veeam Licenses. currently, all the backup server roles was installed in one server. also, we are using the low end storage (QNAP) as backup repository which was connected with ISCSI LUNs. the VBR server was a VM.We are performing the weekly active full Veeam backup jobs and weekly ative full backup copy jobs. the totally would be 33 TB. also, We would like to get immutable backup in the azure(we are waiting for the V12 to support this). For now, We got bad performance. To resolve this performance issue, We are planning to deploy a new VBR server which was a physical server that come from HPE with RAID 6. the repository will be formated with REFS 64 k to support fast clone. (our VM host is Hyper-V, we also using Veeam agent to backup data)We will also migrate the Veeam Enterprise Manager from old server to this new physical server. We will disable all the jobs in the old server and recreate new jobs in the new server. the old server will keep for one month in case of we need to restore the old data. may I know is that OK to do this?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Can I deploy a second VBR Server

Post by Mildur »

Hi Apollo

Yes you can.
If you add the second VBR to the same Enterprise Manager, licensing will not be an issue. The same source VM will only count as one license (or same source Host as one socket), even if protected by two VBR server.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
apolloxm
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time

Post by apolloxm »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for your reply! how about the daily operation?for example, Performing Backup jobs and restoring operation?Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

You're welcome.
I don't expect any issues, if you make sure that only one VBR servers is doing backups at the same time.
And restores will never be an issue. You could also reconnect the LUN from the QNAP to the new VBR server and import the backups. I would wait one month before doing that. Just to make sure that the new backup server is running fine.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software