Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Retention policy for outdated backups in conjunction with GFS retention policy

Post by sandsturm »

Hi

Our virtual machine backupjobs are configured to have a retention policy of 32 days and keep weekly fulls for 13 weeks (GFS retention). Backup mode is incremental with a synthetic full every friday, the job runs once a day for seven days a week. The retention policy for outdated backups is set to 5 days (5 days only for this test purpose, usually its more, we use per-machine backup files on our SOBR extents).

I tested the deletion behavior. I deleted a VM 8 days ago and therefore the VM has no backup created for 8 days now and therefore in my opinion all backups should be deleted due to the 5 days retention policy for outdated backups, but anyway I still see the GFS created weekly backups are still there. Are GFS backups not affected by the deletion policy or how do I have to understand that? Could not find anything in the documentation about this behavior.

thx for clarification
sandsturm
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Retention policy for outdated backups in conjunction with GFS retention policy

Post by Mildur »

Hi sandsturm

Correct, GFS flagged backups are not affected by the deleted item retention.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Retention policy for deleted items does not apply to full backup files to which GFS flags are assigned.
Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sandsturm
Veteran

Re: Retention policy for outdated backups in conjunction with GFS retention policy

Post by sandsturm »

Hi Fabian

Okay, good to know. Thanks for your fast reply. Do I have to delete such GFS-retention backups manually or will they be removed one by one until the GFS retention (in my example 13 weeks) is reached?

thx
sandsturm
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Your welcome.
A gfs restore point will be removed automatically when the retention period is over :) So you should see them get removed one by one weekly or monthly, depending on what gfs flags and retention they have.

Or you can remove all gfs restore points for a single machine manually in the console at once.
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=110
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sandsturm
Veteran

Post by sandsturm »

okay, thank you. If GFS restore points will be removed automatically it is totally fine for. I just don't want to have any orphaned data :-)

thx a lot,
sandsturm