Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jimnoco
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Jimmy

AAP with Domain Controller Copy Only Mode

Post by jimnoco »

Greetings,

I have searched the forums and not found an answer to this.

For Domain Controller backup, is it acceptable to use the application aware processing in "copy only" mode? Or what is the benefit of processing transaction logs when there is no SQL in a domain controller? Does the backup still handle the Active Directory database in copy only mode, or is it necessary to enable "process transaction logs" for the domain controller to know it was backed up as described in this blog:

https://www.veeam.com/blog/backing-up-d ... ction.html

Thanks in advance.
Origin 2000
Service Provider
Liked: 20 times

Re: AAP with Domain Controller Copy Only Mode

Post by Origin 2000 »

For my understand the term transaction logs is only valid for mssql, exchange or other DBs and not for Windows AD. The reason for having "copy only" is than when speaking of mssql there might be more than one app which needs these transaction logs or another process is used for deleting them (MSSQL have maintenance tasks for example).

Regards,
Joerg
jimnoco
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Jimmy

Post by jimnoco »

Thanks Joerg. I understand that part of the feature. I'm just trying to find out if its acceptable to enable AAP with copy only on domain controller backup and ensure it is aware of the backup. I've had some situations where the truncation operation fails.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Copy-only (and transaction logs processing settings in general) don't affect processing of domain controller in any way.