Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tsg.notify
Lurker
Liked: never

Upgrade from vSphere 4.1 to 5 completely broke backup jobs

Post by tsg.notify »

I just went through the process of upgrading vSphere 4.1 to 5 using Update Manager. That went just fine but my 5 backup up jobs stopped working. They all reported the error "Host with id 'some long number' was not found." I fixed the problem and I wanted to share my solution and to see what happened. I had Veeam (v6 upgraded from 5) pointed at the vCenter server and I had to remove the vCenter server, add each host individually and then add the vCenter server again before I could back up anything in the cluster.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Upgrade from vSphere 4.1 to 5 completely broke backup jo

Post by foggy »

It seems that during upgrade procedure host IDs have changed and re-adding vCenter server to the console helped updating them.
tsg.notify
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by tsg.notify »

I wish that were true. I have to take back everything in my original post. I am going to have to recreate my jobs and seed them again from scratch. Any job I map to a backup that was there before I upgraded to vSphere 5 doesn't work.
tom11011
Expert
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Tom

Upgrade vcenter from 4 to 5 backups broken

Post by tom11011 »

[merged]

Hello.

We upgraded our vcenter from version 4 to version 5. None of the backups are functioning now.

I did run through the properties of "Server" in the veeam backup config to ensure veeam still sees vcenter.

Backups are failing with

Task failed Error: Object <servername> not found.

Thanks for your help.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

I was able to get backups running by going into the job and removing all the vm's and then re-add them back in.

I was going to pose this question, but I think I already know the answer just by watching how quickly the job is running.

"If you remove all vm's from a job and then readd the same vm's to the same job, will that force a full backup?"

I believe the answer is no, incrementals seem to be working based on the speed of my job.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

In our case we have just removed the host with his old id from the database. Just take a look into dbo.Hosts within your Veeam-DB. For ESXi5 the right entry was the host with type 6 (while ESXi4.1 had type 0). After deleting the old entry just switch to the Veeam console and browse your standalone Host or Vcenter under Servers once. That did the trick for us. No need to remove and readd VMs / standalone Hosts / Vcenter.
tom11011
Expert

Post by tom11011 »

I haven't upgraded ESX 4 to 5 yet, only virtual center. But, I will keep that in mind when I do so this Saturday night! :)
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Wie have done this for over 90 hosts and it worked well for us.

Good luck :mrgreen: