Management reporting and documentation
Daniel2
Enthusiast
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Daniel

RPO Compliance Reporting?

Post by Daniel2 »

I'm currently evaluating Veeam ONE and have issues finding the right report.

This is the status quo:
  • We have SLA in our company that requires us to meet a target RPO per VM.
  • We have four RPOs: CDP, 4h, 12h, 24h.
  • The VM is assigned the RPO policy by the service owner. This information is being pushed to vSphere and the VMs of this service are tagged accordingly.
  • I have a Backup Job for each RPO that includes all VMs with the corresponding RPO tag.
I need a report that shows if and how well we meet the designated RPO over a given period of time. The report should show how many tasks were successful and met the RPO, successful but failed the RPO, failed entirely. When I say task, I mean the process of a single VM being backed up as part of a single session of a Backup Job.

For example for the 4h RPO in a period of 1 day for 132 VMs:
  • 792 planned tasks (thats 132 VMs backed up ever 4h over 24 hours, or 132 * 6)
  • 781 tasks successful within RPO (2 with warnings, but still considered success)
  • 8 tasks successful but failed RPO
  • 3 task failed
Summary of the sample report would be: RPO compliance within last 24h: 98.61 %
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: RPO Compliance Reporting?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
did you you already look at the "Protected VMs" report? It's with absolute values (not per cent), but should be pretty close.

For CDP, there is the VM CDP SLA Compliance report (also in the Veeam Backup Monitoring folder)

Best regards,
Hannes
Daniel2
Enthusiast

Post by Daniel2 »

Unfortunately, no. This report is missing an option to set a period.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Daniel,

Please take a look at Workload Protection History report and let me know what you think. This report was designed to check SLA and based on backup sessions. It calculates failure and success rates as a percentage of the resulting sessions. As far as I can see it should cover most of your requests.

Having that you already using VMware tags you may create and use Business view RPO-tag groups in this report or just filter manually the report by "Backup Job for each RPO". Then use Report Builder to combine different reports filtered by RPO into a single document.

The only thing would left is "successful tasks but failed RPO" which is shown only in the "Protected" reports but is also triggered by the "VM with no backups" alarm.

Thanks
Daniel2
Enthusiast

Post by Daniel2 »

The Workload protection has no information about RPO. Combining different repots isn't helpful, we need one report that has data that actually relates to each other. Looks like Veeam ONE can't provide this information and we have to look elsewhere. I'm disappointed, because I don't think the type of report we need is uncustomary. Veeam ONE is focused too much on technicalities, rather than SLA and policies. Thanks for your help and suggestions.
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times

Post by RomanK »

Hello Daniel,

As Hannes and I mentioned above, PRO is currently present in "Protected" reports, which in its turn does not have a period. That is why I am asking your opinion about Workload Protection History.

You told us that you "have a Backup Job for each RPO", and you may run Workload Protection History against this job. In that case, you would get successful and failed tasks (sessions) and their ratio for specified RPO jobs. As far as I can see there is missed required data about failed RPO like within/outside RPO and their ratio. Please correct me if I am wrong.

On the other hand, if we would add a period to Protected VMs what data you would really need to use? This report is about VMs and their backup, it is not designed to track backup sessions and calculate the success or failure rate of backup sessions. Rather we could possibly add just a within/outside RPO ratio there in the future and that is it.

Two reports with different approaches, what you would prefer to use in your environment? What would be more helpful to achieve the goal?

Thanks
jorgedlcruz
Veeam Software
Liked: 615 times
Full Name: Jorge de la Cruz

Post by jorgedlcruz »

Hello Daniel,
We have been discussing the specific of your use case, and it has been taken into action for future releases. We have something at the moment that handles almost your requirement, but it does not drill down per workload; let me show you an example:
I have a Backup Job that has a few VMs, it is protected daily, and I wanted to know the Success SLA over a period of time, let's say 365 days. If I go to the Workload Protection History and I play with the filters:
It is going to give me something very important for this particular Job, which is the total SLA, and then something per month, which is nice (and it is scary to see some months going low):

This is not perfect, and it does not include CDP, for example, but as said, we thank you for your feedback. We are thinking of including a new widget where you can see an SLA overview for the last x minutes/hours/days, which combines all job types, etc. From this new widget, you will be able to click and generate a report with a summary pretty similar to what you described as well.

Consider your valuable feedback noted.
Jorge de la Cruz
Senior Product Manager | Veeam ONE @ Veeam Software

@jorgedlcruz
https://www.jorgedelacruz.es / https://jorgedelacruz.uk
vExpert 2014-2024 / InfluxAce / Grafana Champion