Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: qq

failed to connect to Agent

Post by 20100 »

Hi
Just evaluating the product. I setup a VM with Windows 2008 and installed the Veeam Backup& Replication V6 on it. Not sure if it is what is referred as the V6 Appliance.
I am testing the transfer of file from ESX host to ESXi (no common storage).
When I start the process, it fails after a minute with "failed to connect to Agent ..."
In Veeam I setup the server with Vcenter and and also tried with 2 servers (the esx and esxi hosts), no difference.
I can see all the volumes for each hosts, so not sure what the problem is.

I also tried FastSCP 3 and it works

Is there anything obvious I missed?
Also, in regards to the appliance, is it a different product?

Thanks
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: failed to connect to Agent

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Usually these kind of errors are caused by firewall rules/restrictions which prevent Veeam agents from starting successfully. Have you had a chance to verify that you have all required ports opened? You can find this list in our User Guide (page 58). Thanks!
Enthusiast

Post by 20100 »

Thanks
I checked that. Could not find "VMware data mover port" on the ESX and ESXi, but everything that had port 902 (ie Vmware Vcenter Agent) is allowed.
I extended the bar for the error message and noticed it failed on the source host on port 2500. I could not find how to allow it on ESX.

During the same time, I have been experimenting with the replication. This is working, so I am not sure what is the issue with the file copy.
I have found how to set the transport mode to 'appliance' in order to use HotAdd, however I was surprised at the throughput averaging 10Mb/s during the replication (the source VM was turned off).
I must be missing something obvious, but cannot figure out what it is!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

And what about a VM where you have Veeam B&R installed? Is firewall enabled on this server?
20100 wrote:I have found how to set the transport mode to 'appliance' in order to use HotAdd, however I was surprised at the throughput averaging 10Mb/s during the replication (the source VM was turned off).
Looks like your replication job has failed over to network mode. Make sure you follow all system requirements for Virtual Appliance (Hot Add) mode.

By the way, what does job bottleneck statistics show?
Enthusiast

Post by 20100 »

Hi
Firewall on the Veeam VM is disabled.

For the Appliance requirement, I checked everything and found the only thing missing was to have a second disk controller. I will add that today and test again.
I have used the replication instead of file copy this week-end for 2 VM. The first VM was 50Gb. I did a replication when online, and it took 45mn. The bottleneck was the destionation (esxi). Then I shutdown the VM and restarted another replication, it took only 6 minutes, very impressive. I tested the replica and it was all good. Then I tried on a second VM (280Gb). The first replica on live server took 3.30 hours. I shutdown the VM and did a second replica and after 2.30 hours, was still at 30% completion. I stopped it as I could not afford to have the VM stopped for so long. The bottleneck for that one was the network, which I am not sure why, as there was no activity on our lan (ie users, backup, etc)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management

Post by Vitaliy S. »

For replication jobs make sure you have set up two proxies on both ends to have better job performance rates.

Our bottleneck analysis just show you the "weakest" link in your current configuration. Are you running your replication jobs across the WAN? Have you applied all the latest patches for Veeam B&R?