Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
bmujahid
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bilal Mujahid

MoRef ID Retention

Post by bmujahid »

Hi Community,
I am working on a Scenario in which I need to migrate my client data of around 200 TB from One vCenter 7.01 to another vCenter 7.02. I have some dependencies that I need to discuss with you guys.
  • I need to Move one Customer at a time due to SLA Requirements like some specific VMS, and what is the preferred method to retain the MoRef ID for this solution as there is huge amount of data that I need to replicate if MoRef ID Cant be Retained?
    Manually updating MoRef ID data in the Configuration Database is the preferred method.
    Veeam Provides any tool to retain the MoRef ID at the new Vmware data center.
Could somebody point me to the most optimum solution in this regard? Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am kind of stuck here.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: MoRef ID Retention

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Bilal
I need to migrate my client data of around 200 TB from One vCenter 7.01 to another vCenter 7.02
May I ask, why you don't just update the older vCenter? Do you need to consolidate all vms under a single vCenter?

Veeam Provides any tool to retain the MoRef ID at the new Vmware data center.
Updating the MoRefID in our configuration database requires unsupported steps.
We have a tool, correct. But it's provided as a courtesy and it's unsupported. https://www.veeam.com/kb2136
And here is UNSUPPORTED workaround posted by another forum member. Here is another one.
If you decide to use one of the methods, test it carefully on test VMs. Take a configuration backup before you start the testing.
Our support will not be able to help you in case something goes wrong.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
bmujahid
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Bilal Mujahid

Re: MoRef ID Retention

Post by bmujahid »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for your answer :)
  • The Client Got Two Data centers that he wanted to merge so they are updating the VCenter but Still they are migrating the data related to Veeam.
    Yes, we need to consolidate all the VMs under one VCenter. So there is no official way in Veeam to do it safely I can play with databases and I am doing it my whole life.
But Veeam Community should have to think better workaround for this purpose to retain MoRef ID. The solution that you are referring to with the tool has some cons associated with it that it can migrate all the Data Center's VMs in one big bang and that is not suitable in our use case. I will try to talk about this issue with Enterprise Support and Maybe they will route me to a better solution.

Thank you for your reply and Validation once again.