Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Cookiesmonster
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas

VMWare Tools not running

Post by Cookiesmonster »

Hi,

I would like to receive an alert when Virtual InfraStructure Client thinks that the VMWare tools aren't running.
According to Windows the service is fine but VMWare Virtual Center thinks otherwise.
I can't find the rule or monitor in the managementpack so could somebody please help.

With kind regards,

Thomas
a_c_king

Re: VMWare Tools not running

Post by a_c_king »

Hi Thomas

Apologies for the delay in posting a reply..... :oops:

We have a VMware Tools Monitor in v4.5 of the nworks MP. It detects when the VMware Tools service/processes are not communicating, and it will also detect whether VMtools is an out-of-date version.

Because this monitors more than just the service status in Windows - we are using the VI-API - so it will alert you with a comms failure, even though in Windows it appears the VMtools service is still running.

You'll find this in the Authoring section of SCOM console, in Monitors.
The Monitor name is "nworks VMware: VMware Tools Service Status" and the Target is VMGuest Virtual Machine.

Any queries please let us know!

Thanks
Alec
soumen74
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Soumen Dey

Post by soumen74 »

Hi ,

I'm just trying to understand whether ESXi can be integrated with SCOM.We already have ESX3.5 which is added to scom after enabling snmp and identifying that as a networking device in SCOM. Can we do something similar for ESXi?
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Post by Alec King »

Hi Soumen,

I guess you DON'T have the nworks MP...? Because we use the VMware API, not SNMP. SNMP is not a good source of data for monitoring ESX. You will never get the level of detail or critical events/performance that the API provides.

Especially for ESXi, you will find that tools such as SNMP, Syslog etc are very limited or even completely unavailable. ESXi is designed to be monitored remotely using the API interface.

Our nworks MP is fully enabled for ESX & ESXi, version 3 and new version 4. You get VIrtual Center events too. Why not try an evaluation? :wink:

Regards
Alec
Alec King
Vice President, Product Management
Veeam Software