Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
GDEL81
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Grégory

Backup Copy Job - Full Backups Monthly

Post by GDEL81 »

Hello,

I have a job with 35 points. I would like to keep 4 additional monthly so I checked "Keep the following restore points as full backups for archival purposes" and set to 4 Monthly backup the first saturday of the month.
The job has been in office since early May (4 or 5). Currently, I have a single monthly dated June 6, created July 16.
I do not understand the logic of creating additional monthlies. Do you have an idea ?

In addition, I tried to script the creation of an Active Full on the first Saturday of each month. it works. But, the following incrementals are linked to these fulls...

My version VBR is 9.5.4.2866.

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup Copy Job - Full Backups Monthly

Post by Mildur »

Hi Gregory

Welcome to the forum.
First let me say, 9.5.4.2866 is already end of support and should be updated to the latest Veeam version.

What you see in the backup copy job is expected with V9.5 and V10. The monthly full backup file will be generated when the oldest restore point reaches the first Saturday of a month. With daily copies and a retention of 35 restore points, it's normal to see the full from June 6th created on July 16th.
We changed that behavior starting with V11. In V11, GFS restore points will be created on the scheduled day and do not wait until you have created another 35 days of restore points.

I recommend to upgrade to V11a P20220302. The GFS process for backup copy jobs makes much more sense and you have a supported version of veeam.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
GDEL81
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Grégory

Post by GDEL81 »

Hi Fabian

Thank you for your reply.

Unfortunately, I am currently stuck with this version.
For the June 6 complete, I understand its appearance in July.
As I achieve 6 points per week (Monday to Saturday), my additional complete appears approximately 6 weeks later.
For that of July, I still have nothing.

It's not serious. I'll let it run to see.
I will see to change my operation. For example: make a full backup with a backup job.

Thanks
Grégory
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Gregory
For that of July, I still have nothing.
Yes, that's strange. The monthly GFS for July should be created by now.
It's not serious. I'll let it run to see.
I will see to change my operation. For example: make a full backup with a backup job.
Backup Jobs do not have GFS retentions in v9.5. But If I remember correctly from 9.5, it should be possible to run the backup job just once in a month.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software