Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
VladOst
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Владимир Григорьевич Остапченко

Big volume for archiving with a slow Internet

Post by VladOst »

Hi!
I have established a VPN connection between the archiving server and a remote protected computer. VPN throughput is about 3-4 Mbit/sec.
The agent is installed on the remote computer.
Job settings for archiving - Job mode: Server; Backup Mode: File level backup; Objects: folder; Guest Processing: Enable application-aware processing.
The size of the directory is about 400 GB. These are mostly immutable files that haven't been edited in months. The daily size of the changed information is only 50-100 MB per day. But, at a minimum, initially you need to archive the entire 400 GB directory.
If I run an archiving job, at this low speed, it continues for several days and fails. The next time the task is run, the entire size of 400GB is transferred again from the beginning...
How can I get out of this situation?
I can, for example, copy all 400 GB of information to a portable hard drive once, and plugin this to the Veem server. But how can I then specify this information as an archive on Veeam so that only changed data is subsequently transferred from a remote computer?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Big volume for archiving with a slow Internet

Post by Mildur »

Hi Vladimir

Welcome to the R&D Forums.
I can, for example, copy all 400 GB of information to a portable hard drive once, and plugin this to the Veem server.
That will not work, the first backup must be done with the Agent on the remote computer.

You have to create the initial backup to local storage. Then transfer the backup data to the location of the main VBR server and copy the entire backup chain to the VBR backup repository. After a rescan, you should be able to map the backup job to the backup files at the new location.
We have kb article for this process:
https://www.veeam.com/kb2321
Job mode: Server; Backup Mode: File level backup
Any reason why you use a file level backup job? Volume Level or entire computer could get you fast incremental runs.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
VladOst
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Владимир Григорьевич Остапченко

Re: Big volume for archiving with a slow Internet

Post by VladOst »

Any reason why you use a file level backup job? Volume Level or entire computer could get you fast incremental runs.
The remote computer has 2 volumes: System and Data. And if the system one is still ready to archive, then on the second, in addition to the necessary (important) data, a lot of information is stored, which is completely uninteresting for saving. I don't want to fill up space on Veeam storage for these junk files. In addition, with such a low connection speed, even incremental changes will take a very long time.
Thanks for the help! This is what I need!