Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
sarapinho
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Amauri Ramos

Change Capacity Tier single Job

Post by sarapinho »

Hi People!!

He doubts.

Currently I have a single SOBR with eight backup jobs, I need to change two jobs to a new SOBR.

Is it possible to seed the backups that are in the performance tier? Or should I clone the job and start a new chain in the performance tier?

Thanks
Amauri
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Change Capacity Tier single Job

Post by Mildur »

Hi Amauri

Is this for a Veeam cloud connect environment or just a normal VBR scale out repository?

In case of a normal VBR environment, you can move the data to the new SOBR, rescan the SOBR and map the backup job to the new location.
Just keep in mind for reFS or XFS based extends, that you will loose space savings from fast cloning when you copy the files to a new extend. Meaning, 12x full backups (1TB) will use 12TB storage at the new SOBR. If you can wait for V12, you can move the backup files without loosing the space savings.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

A small clarification - are you talking about Performance extents or Capacity ones? The post and its title refer to different Tiers; thus, the question. Thanks!
sarapinho
Enthusiast

Post by sarapinho »

@Mildur
A normal VBR scale out repository.

@Veremin,
I need to change the capacity tier of just two jobs, but I wouldn't want to lose the backups I already have in the performance tier.

I don't know if they understood :)
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Moving the files and then map the jobs to the new location seems the way to do it :)

You can only move the files from performance tier (SOBR1) to the other performance tier (SOBR2).
The backups will be offloaded again in the new SOBR to the new Capacity tier after you have mapped the backup jobs.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

What Capacity Tier policy are you using? If the move policy is set up, you might want to download backups from Capacity Tier before moving them to a different Scale-Out Backup Repository - the move policy offloads inactive backups to object storage, so some portions of the original backup chain might only be present on the Capacity Tier right now. Thanks!
sarapinho
Enthusiast

Post by sarapinho »

Yes, I'm using the copy and move policy.

I will do the tests in lab.

Thank you for your help.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

In this case, you will need to download the backups first so that the whole backup chain (not only its active part) can be transported to the new repository. Thanks!
sarapinho
Enthusiast

Post by sarapinho »

When you talk about downloading, is that all I have in the capacity tier? or not?

Because my idea is to leave the backups that are in the old capacity tier only to consult until giving the expiration date, and start a cycle in this new capacity tier.

I would spend just taking advantage of the existing performance tier chain so I don't have to run new full backups.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

The question is whether you want to move the whole backup chain of a particular job or only portions of it. If you don't care about points that have been offloaded to Capacity Tier already, then copy-paste only the active part of the chain (the one starting from the latest full backup). Otherwise, download points first. Thanks!
sarapinho
Enthusiast

Post by sarapinho »

Move only a part, what is already in the capacity tier will be just for history.

Thank you for your help!!