Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mkaec
Veteran
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: Marc K

Exchange Restore 413: Request Entity Too Large

Post by mkaec »

I'm trying to restore an Exchange mailbox and getting the following error for 4 messages:
Failed to create items. The request failed with HTTP status 413: Request Entity Too Large.

If Google results are to be believed, the solution is to change maxRequestEntityAllowed and/or uploadReadAheadSize somewhere in IIS. Those settings are at the site and folder levels in IIS. Which ones are applicable to Veeam restore of Exchange mailboxes?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Exchange Restore 413: Request Entity Too Large

Post by Mildur »

Hi

I cannot say how the values works for IIS.
If you have tested both values and they did‘t worked, please create a support case as mandatory for any technical issue. Our support will be able to determine if any change is necessary for the IIS or if there is another issue.

Could you let us know the case number? Without a case number, this topic could be deleted by a moderator.

Thanks
Fabian

PS:
Please upload log files to the case.
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

I don't think it's an issue with Veeam. Just looking for some background on how Veeam restores to on-premise Exchange. Those two settings can be applied at many levels within IIS. Not really interested in going down the "submit tons of logs" route that tends to happen with support cases.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor » 1 person likes this post

You need to change the EWS and possibly the transport configuration. But if only 4 messages fail, I would rather export those and import them manually.

If you still want to adjust the Exchange configuration, then you can use the following guide: https://www.codetwo.com/kb/changing-the ... ize-limit/
Just make sure that you create backups of the original/default configurations files. Also be aware that any future exchange update can reset your changes.
mkaec
Veteran

Post by mkaec »

Thanks, Regnor!

I first increased maxAllowedContentLength in %ExchangeInstallPath%FrontEnd\HttpProxy\ews\web.config and that did not help. Then I increased it in %ExchangeInstallPath%ClientAccess\exchweb\ews\web.config and the messages restored. Unfortunately, I don't know if the change was actually required in both or just exchweb. And I did not need to restart the Exchange server after making the changes, as the article advised. Restarting "Default Web Site" in IIS was enough.

I hope my experience helps someone in the future. Searches for "Veeam 413 Request Entity Too Large" didn't yield much specific to Veeam.
Regnor
VeeaMVP
Liked: 291 times
Full Name: Max

Post by Regnor »

I'm glad that it worked for you. The 413 is a general Exchange topic as every application which uses EWS can potentially have/cause this error; so not Veeam specific. Large email items can sometimes be painful, especially for backups or during migrations.

Btw, both config files needed to be changed as the request goes from Frontend to Backend in Exchange.