Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Matthewh
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Humphreys

Concurrent Tasks - Physical Repository

Post by Matthewh »

So we have two repos, both R740XD with 20 Physical and 40 Logical Cores and 10GB networking.

I have read the documentation about concurrent tasks should we be setting these to 20 concurrent tasks or 40 the documentation suggests 1:1 but I have read a lot on the forums about 2:1 on the repo, the box has 64GB of RAM.

Can we set the concurrent tasks to the same as the logical cores or is it 2:1 relationship to physical cores?

The other repo is a replication site only, we are looking to try and improve the processing time of our backups and on investigation we have a fair amount of wait time for resources and when we dig down further it seems to be the repo that are limited by the number of concurrent tasks.

Also would directing some of the backups to the "replication" repo and then replicating the other way so we have it currently so Site A backup goes to Repo1 on Site B backups also go to Repo1 then we replicate from Repo1 to Repo2 on Site B, if we did Site B backups to to Repo2 and then replicated those to Repo1 and vice versa, would that give us an improvement on the overall performance? (both repo are the same config 2x Intel Xeon 4114 CPU and 64GB of ram and 80TB of disk in the R740XD)
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Concurrent Tasks - Physical Repository

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
yes, for a long time you could find in the best practice guide (veeambp.com) that you can do some overbooking on the cores for the repository. Usually 2:1 should be fine.

But for 40 tasks, you might be a little bit low on RAM. Per task, there should be 4 GB RAM. But well, you are also not that far away from it... so I would just try it out (I'm always assuming, that you use per-VM backup files).

Best regards,
Hannes
Matthewh
Service Provider
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Humphreys

Post by Matthewh »

Yes we use per VM backups, we see very very low memory usage during the backup window, I will try it out and see what the result is, thank you for the confirmation
mattmnz
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Matt Mariu

Post by mattmnz »

Yo Chaps, Did you get a reply to this? We've 96 logical cores with hyper threading - is it safe with enough memory - 256Gig - for a Veeam Repo server to match concurrent tasks to the logical allocation or is it strictly physical ?

The machine in question is a brand new HPE Apollo 4510 with two 460 TB RAID60 ReFS array's, 48 Cores and 256g RAM.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
it's not really strict and the documentation was changed over the years.

As far as I know, most people use physical cores for calculation. 3:1 ratio is a good starting point. Then you can see how it goes. For application plugins (RMAN, SAP), the ratio is even 5:1.

Best regards,
Hannes