Agent-based backup of Windows, Linux, Max, AIX and Solaris machines.
FTL
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Invalid Password restoring encrypted backup

Post by FTL »

Hi

Have a small company that backup a single Windows server using VBR Community Edition.

Backup to 5 rotated usb drives, keep 1 restore point on each disk.

Needed today to restore a file and can restore it ok from last nights backup restore point thats listed in the Backups tab.

Unfortunately needed the file from Tuesday not last night, so pop Tuesdays disk in, import the backup, pop the password in and it says its invalid password.

But i can restore from Wednesdays, which was encrypted using the same password (only password in the software)

Says the same for every backup taken in the last 6 days, can only restore from the latest backup from last night.

I know the password is good (and surely the fact that Wednesdays restores ok matches my assumption?)

Case #05596794 has been opened

VBR 11.0.1.1261
Windows Server 2022 Essentials

Anybody any help with this one?

TIA
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2275 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Invalid Password restoring encrypted backup

Post by Mildur »

Hi Tia

Thanks for the case number.
Please check if someone has changed the encryption password in the last few days.
You should see it in the Event viewer with Egors method:
encryption password changes
If ther was a password change, then veeam support or we from product management cannot help.

Another question. Do you have to import the restore points from the older usb disks?
Are they not visible in the Veeam Console?
What sort of Rotated drives do you use? Directly connected to the vbr server as a local disk?

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
FTL
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by FTL »

Hi Fabian,

No password has not been changed.Yes i have to import any older backups than the previous day.

USB drives are removable disks that are plugged into the VBR server and get a windows drive letter.
THe console only ever shows available restore points as 1 so i have to import the old backup and guest file restore from that.

Repository is set as a Direct ATtached Storage option for WIndows Server and i browse to the drive letter (in this case D:\)
HTownVinny
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vince Wood

Post by HTownVinny »

Unrelated to the password issue, Might the Drive Detection section of the linked page help save a little time?
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 526 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Vince and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

Could you please clarify what exactly are you looking for in regards to drive detection logic? Also, I propose to create a separate topic if your question is not related to the issue discussed in this topic.

Thanks!
HTownVinny
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Vince Wood

Post by HTownVinny »

I wasn’t asking a question for my benefit. I was suggesting something else for the OP to consider.