Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
arturo.meza
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Arturo Meza

Error: Incorrect function. Failed to read data from the file [\\.\PhysicalDriveX]. Failed to get LVID for device

Post by arturo.meza »

Good day, the following problem occurs to me when trying to make a backup with Transport Type SAN.

I have different types of hardware that act as proxies in my infrastructure, HPE DL, HPE BL, and HPE Apollo Servers

I have Storage HPE Primera and HP 3PAR, as well as other EMC types.

This error only appears when trying to back up with the following combination.

The virtual machines live on a LUN (VMFS) hosted on a Storage type HPE Primera, and I use an HPE Apollo as Proxy, (The Apollo Server uses Windows Server 2019)

Another benchmark is that we identified that scans of VMFS LUNs are not detected as VMFS when using an HPE Apollo.

I get the message

Successfully determined LUNs supported for backup from storage snapshots on storage (MyStorageName) using Fibre Channel adapter XXXXXXXX from proxy (Apollo Server Name)
LUN LUN_TEST01 from volume LUN_TEST01 is datastore LUN_TEST_01 on host (MyStorageIPAdress)

Code: Select all

" LUN VeeamSnap_Pr.2022-08-31-1216 from snapshot VeeamSnap_Pr.2022-08-31-1216 of volume LUN_TEST01 [b]is not a VMFS volume snapshot[/b]"
But if the same LUN is scanned from another Proxy type, HPE DL or HP BL, the LUN is recognized as a VMFS.

What do you think could be the problem? The combination of HPE Primera with HPE Apollo, some configuration of the HBA, Will the Operating System have some configuration that does not allow to position the sectors correctly for reading and therefore it cannot be identified as a VMFS?

I have opened cases like Case #05220553 but without finding a solution,
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 527 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Error: Incorrect function. Failed to read data from the file [\\.\PhysicalDriveX]. Failed to get LVID for device

Post by PetrM »

Hello Arturo and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

We cannot troubleshoot technical issues effectively over the forum posts, please continue working with our support team. You may open a new case and refer to the previous one. As far as I see, the case has been closed because our engineers were unable to contact you for updates after three attempts on separate business days. Also, please be aware that you always have an option to escalate a support case if you're not satisfied how it's being handled.

Thanks!
arturo.meza
Lurker
Full Name: Arturo Meza

Re: Error: Incorrect function. Failed to read data from the file [\\.\PhysicalDriveX]. Failed to get LVID for device

Post by arturo.meza »

I posted it to see if anyone else had the same thing happen to them, thanks.
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Of course, I understand. But keep in mind that the same error message can occur because of different issues so there are no guarantees that a solution that helped in someone else's case will be useful for you. That's why I always recommend to work on technical issues with our support engineers.

Thanks!
ScottyT
Lurker
Full Name: Scott Truman

Post by ScottyT »

Hi, I know this is an old post but did you find a solution to this? We have the exact same problem with some datastores on two Appolo servers, but no issues with our HPE BL SAN proxies.

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software

Post by PetrM »

Hello and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

Please contact our support team and provide a support case ID as requested when you make a post about a technical issue. We cannot troubleshoot technical issues effectively over the forum posts. All posts about technical issues without case ID will be eventually deleted by the forum moderator. You can also upload debug logs for our support as per the instructions of this KB.

Thanks!