Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
codylittle
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Simulating SOBR Copy "after" in VBR?

Post by codylittle »

Hey All,

From using the VSE (https://vse.veeambp.com/) to simulate backups to object storage,
I've come to the realization that a large amount of the cost comes from copying daily incrementals (currently ~52% the bill).

If we had forward incrementals with synthetics created weekly, with a retention of 14 days, 104 weeklies.
How could we acheive only uploading the weeklies, or at least minimize the number of daily incrementals uploaded?
This would work in sort of a Copy to capacity tier "after" 14 days way.
(want to also avoid a single move operation as want to maintain as many backups on premise as possible).

My thinking is:

Backup Job to NAS only with GFS retention of 14 dailies, and number of weeklies specified by free space left on NAS.
Backup Copy job to run weekly (after synthetic full is made) with 104 retention points to copy to a SOBR with a move policy of 0 days (in v12 just straight to object storage).

Can anyone see an issue with this thinking?
Am I correct in assuming that by running the Backup Copy job once a week it'll only capture the Synthetic full and not the incrementals?
I am also aware that I'd require some additional storage overhead in V11 to store the backup copy prior to it being offloaded to the capacity tier.
Also how do people get onto the V12 beta? Would love to test out some of the new features.

Regards,
Cody
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Simulating SOBR Copy "after" in VBR?

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
as you don't like "move", waiting for V12 with the backup copy job would be the closest option as far as I see (not sure, whether it really makes sense to do the second SOBR "workaround", as it also costs additional storage on-prem)
Am I correct in assuming that by running the Backup Copy job once a week it'll only capture the Synthetic full and not the incrementals?
a backup copy job running weekly makes sure, that the restore point has the latest data available on the day it runs. It's irrelevant whether it gets its data from one (synthetic) full, or a chain of incremental backups. The BCJ takes everything that is needed to have a valid backup for that day.
Also how do people get onto the V12 beta?
Beta access is available via the responsible Veeam SE (systems engineers). The point is, that the SE has to manage bug reports and support for beta "his" beta test customers. As customers are coming back from vacation, they might be busy (October might be a better time to ask)

Best regards,
Hannes
codylittle
Influencer

Post by codylittle »

Hey Hannes,

Cheers for the reply. That really clears up a lot of my thinking around copy jobs.
I've reached out to our pre-sales SE to see if they've got any spots free/left for the V12 beta.

From what I've read regarding V12 and watched in the V12 Object storage enhancements, I could do a backup job to the NAS then just a weekly BCJ to a SOBR that doesn't contain the performant tier (only capacity and archive).
Do you think that this would be feasible?

Regards,
Cody
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Almost correct; you can create a backup job to a NAS repository and then add a backup copy job that will copy backups to an object storage repository. The object storage will be a standalone repository, not a Scale-Out Backup one. Even in v12, SOBR will still consist of three tiers and require backups to land on the Performance Tier before being transferred to the Capacity and Archive Tiers. So if you point the backup copy job to the SOBR, the restore points will be placed on the Performance Tier first. Thanks!
codylittle
Influencer

Post by codylittle »

Thanks Vladimir.

I'm assuming that in v12 to utilize Archive tiers it'll still need to be through a SOBR.
If I was to instead use object storage as the performant tier and skip the capacity tier but use the archive tier (as pictured in screenshot), would this be functional?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

In v12, "Direct to archive" will be possible, but only if you have AWS S3 or Azure Blob as Performance Tier and AWS S3 Glacier or Azure Archive Tier as Archive Tier. In this case, an intermediate Capacity Tier will not be required. Thanks!