Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
neckman
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Nathan

Veeam Plugin Oracle RMAN "CATALOG BACKUPPIECE" Performance

Post by neckman »

Hi, using Veeam Plugin for oracle rman and suffering some performance issues using "CATALOG DEVICE TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' BACKUPPIECE XXX".

The Veeam Host in on Windows and appears to have a SQL Server Express backend. There is a 15TB drive carved out locally for Oracle backups ReFs file system config. I have 15 oracle databases that I backup using rman to Veeam storage (user-managed). I test these restores weekly against a restored control file. Since the control file is restored I have to catalog the missing backup information from Veeam. I do this by issuing the catalog command with a list of 50-200 backup file names (i retrieve this list using the PS Veeam Kit). This process is taking a long time - 30 to 40 minutes to catalog 200 or so files. It is taking a few minutes to catalog a single 10MB file. The actual restoral is faster than the cataloging process in some cases. When I am cataloging the files I can see the only resources running hot is CPU usage (35-40% from sql server) and very high Disk IO (again from sql server). When i log onto the sql server database I see a handful of Select queries running during the catalog operation. These queries appear to be running over and over and they are running for quite some time. I am not clear what is going on here. Anyone have similar issues?
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2890 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: Veeam Plugin Oracle RMAN "CATALOG BACKUPPIECE" Performance

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

30-40min sounds long... do you maybe have a Veeam support case number where we can see more details and logs?
The Veeam Host in on Windows and appears to have a SQL Server Express backend.
yes, that's the default. In case you run your backup server as virtual machine: the VM needs to have virtual cores instead of virtual CPUs, because SQL express only uses the first 4 cores of the first CPU.

Best regards,
Hannes
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: Veeam Plugin Oracle RMAN "CATALOG BACKUPPIECE" Performance

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Beside that this is slow, why do you perform the catalog backuppiece command? Do you get the Veeam Filenames and then Catalog the specific backup file with the Veeam filenames that you got?

What is the purpose of this? Maybe there are better ways.

As well please check if you have latest Veeam Backup & Replication v11a with latest patch (and updated plug-in as well). There is a new metadata handlin in v11 that should optimize this. So if you work on 10 I would upgrade for sure.