Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
JackT
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jack T.

Tape running for far longer than it should

Post by JackT »

Hi,
We run daily incremental backups copy jobs to tapes. I left the office on Friday with the tape job running at 4:30pm as normal, and come back now on Monday the next week with emails saying the main server backup couldn't run because the tape copy for it was still running. I go to check VBR console and the tape job has been running for 64 and a half hours. I'm assuming it ejected too early or someone removed it prematurely but, is there a way to configure it so that Veeam won't wait so long for a tape to be inserted? Say if this happens again, but it only waits 12 hours instead of 64 before terminating the job, failing the job and allowing the main backup to run.

I guess the questions are, what is the cause and is there a way to prevent Veeam waiting this long before making the job fail?

Thanks,
J
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Tape running for far longer than it should

Post by Mildur »

Hi Jack

There is a registry key to set the time veeam waits for new tapes:
WaitForValidTapeTimeoutMin - Default value is 72 hours.

To analyze the cause, please open a support case with our technical support team. Please provide the case number for our reference.

Have you by any chance enabled „Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs“ in the Tape Job?

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
JackT
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Jack T.

Post by JackT »

Hi Fabian,
please open a support case with our technical support team. Please provide the case number for our reference.
Alright, will do. Case #05612743
Have you by any chance enabled „Prevent this job from being interrupted by source backup jobs“ in the Tape Job?
It is not enabled no.

Thanks
RomanK
Veeam Software
Liked: 167 times

Post by RomanK »

Hi all,

I just wanted to add that it is also possible to use waitForValidTapeTimeoutSec key if for some reason you need this timeout for less than a minute.

Thanks