Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Threonine
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Luke D.

v6 User Guide - Automount best practice

Post by Threonine »

I just noticed that the v6 User Guide (VMware) no longer contains the guidelines for disabling automount. I'm assuming this is still a best practice for servers that are performing Direct SAN Access backups... Is that correct? I understand that VCB is no longer supported and has been replaced with VADP. If disabling automount is still a best practice by VMware/Veeam, then I would suggest this be added back into the User Guide. :)

Thanks.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: v6 User Guide - Automount best practice

Post by tsightler »

Veeam does this automatically now on both the Veeam server, and any server that is added as a proxy. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea to mention it though.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Correct, that happens by default in v6, but thanks for feedback!
Threonine
Service Provider

Post by Threonine »

Interesting... Thanks for the quick response, guys. This is good to know. I just had to go confirm this myself... On a test machine, automount was indeed disabled during setup. This would be good to include in the documentation at the least, and perhaps even giving the user some notification of this change during the setup process. This is a significant change that also impacts the ability to install Service Packs on Win7/2008 R2.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Threonine wrote:This would be good to include in the documentation at the least
It is quite old feature, it was documented in What's New for the version when it was introduced for sure, and it is documented in the sticky FAQ. Nevertheless, we are planning to get rid of this in the next release, as this functionality is deprecated in the newer Windows versions. Thanks!
Threonine
Service Provider

Post by Threonine »

Gostev, thanks for the reply and the info. Lots of good info in the FAQ I see now!

One question though... What do you mean that the functionality is deprecated in newer Windows versions? They're getting rid of automount? Or do you mean... that Windows no longer tries to automatically re-signature disks (which mitigates this issue)? Thanks again.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

No, it's just replaced by new settings (providing more granular control of mount policy).