Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
smozy92
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas

SOBR - How to have a different retention policy for capacity (azure blob) and performance tier

Post by smozy92 »

Hello everyone,

I think I am in the right place to get some help :D

I explain my situation
  • I have 1 Hyper V linked to Veeam Enterprise
  • I have one VM on that Hyper V that I want to backup
I would like implement the following backup strategy:
  • Daily incremental (Monday to Friday) that I keep 14 days on local storage repo (performance tier) and 30 days on Azure blob storage (capacity tier)
  • Full weekly (Saturday) that I keep 2 weeks on local storage repo (performance tier) and 4 weeks on Azure blob storage (capacity tier)
  • Full monthly (Last Sunday) that I keep 1 month on local storage repo (performance tier) and 2 months on Azure blob storage (capacity tier)
I am not sure if there is a way on Veeam to have this kind of setup with different retention policy for performance and capacity tiers.

On the scale-out options, from what I see, it's only possible to move files older than X days to Azure or copy as soon as they land on performance tier storage to Azure. But there is no way to manage the retention policy for the capacity tier (azure blob)

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you.
HannesK
Product Manager
Liked: 2877 times
Full Name: Hannes Kasparick

Re: SOBR - How to have a different retention policy for capacity (azure blob) and performance tier

Post by HannesK »

Hello,
and welcome to the forums.

Correct, as of today it's very simple: "copy" everything and / or "move" after x days.

the closest you can get today is one backup jobs that does
a. 30 days (because you require 30 days) retention
b. 4 weeks GFS (because you require 4 weeks)
c. 2 months GFS (because you require 2 months)
d. set the synthetic full on Sunday, to align with the required last Sunday monthly full (you can do it on different days, but then it becomes confusing, because there is no full on Sunday, but you want to keep it)

on the scale out repository: configure to move after 30 days (because you require one monthly on-prem)

Overall, I would move after two weeks. Because it sounds like a very corner case situation, to do a full restore from a month ago. With that change, everything except the monthly full on-prem is met.

Best regards,
Hannes
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: SOBR - How to have a different retention policy for capacity (azure blob) and performance tier

Post by veremin » 1 person likes this post

In version 12, we will support the object storage repository as the primary target for backup and backup copy jobs. Once v12 is available, you can move away from SOBR and start backing up to local storage with a backup job and copying restore points to object storage with the backup copy). You can set different schedules and retention periods for these jobs to achieve the desired goal. Thanks!
smozy92
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Thomas

Post by smozy92 »

Thank you for your reply

Do you know when the v12 will be available ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »