Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Veeam Proxy vSAN high read latency

Post by unsichtbarre »

Case #02734805
I am dealing with a situation where we have 2 Veeam Proxies configured in Virtual Appliance (hotadd) mode protecting a vxRail vSAN environment. The proxy servers run on the same vSAN/Cluster as all of the VMs they are protecting and replication - however we are seeing read latencies of 80ms. - 150ms. on the Veeam Proxy servers and backups/replication are extremely slow and large VMs (1TB+) are simply not finishing.

I am presently trying NBD to see if transitioning data flow to the individual VMs and ESXi will improve anything, although this strategy is clearly not best-practice, I acknowledge.

Can anyone suggest strategies or diagnostic measures we can use to localize the latency issues?

THX,
-JB
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Re: Veeam Proxy vSAN high read latency

Post by rennerstefan »

Hi,

what does the vSAN disk backend look like?
Is it all flash or hybrid?

Thanks
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

This article describes the most common vSAN performance troubleshooting practices with different examples. It's worth looking through it.

Thanks!
unsichtbarre
Service Provider
Liked: 39 times
Full Name: John Borhek

Post by unsichtbarre » 1 person likes this post

Thanks for the responses rennerstefan and PetrM

Very useful article!

I will ask owner about disk type, however this problem is recent. Something changed.
John Borhek, Solutions Architect
https://vmsources.com
gswan
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Gregory Swan

Post by gswan »

Interestingly enough I am seeing the same thing on my organizations VMware cluster. We are currently running:
8 vSAN Ready Nodes with a Hybrid disk configuration.

We started to see this issues after upgrading to vSphere/ESXi/vSAN to the most recent versions in late august. We are currently running Veeam version 11.0.1.12621P20220302

I have a case open with VMware as well as with Dell, both entities are not finding any configuration issues in my environment that would cause these issues. I do see the high latency spikes during our Veeam B&R backup windows, which we are currently using hotadd mode as well.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 520 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM »

Hi Gregory,

Instead of looking for configuration issues that VMware and Dell support teams could find in your environment, I'd suggest asking them to investigate deeper the specific issue with high latency spikes during the backup job. Also, you may contact our support team to run some performance tests to isolate the problem at the level of your infrastructure.

Thanks!
Remyc
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rémy CALLU

Post by Remyc »

Hi unsichtbarre,

Do you have find any solution for this problem ? I think i have the same problem.

Thank you !