Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
BackupSlacker
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Backup Copy Behavior Change V11

Post by BackupSlacker »

Coming from Veeam v10 I have noticed a change when our backup copies run that is a little undesired. Previously only 2 vm's per copy job would transfer. Meaning if 2 jobs were running at the same time, 2 vm's from each job would run (maxing out at 4 vm's total no matter how many jobs running). The reason this was preferred for us is because we have 2 different locations that the backups copy to with bandwidth restrictions for the jobs. Now with v11 it will copy 4 vm's from a single job, leaving the other job waiting for backup infrastructure resources availability. This causes the backup copies to take longer than previously as only 1 job will be going at a time at that reduced bandwidth instead of both going at the same time. Any idea what changed or what I can do to remedy this?

Edit: I should add, we have 3 backup repositories (1 for each location) and 3 backup proxies (1 for each). There are vmware hosts at each location that the backup proxies backup the vm's from that location to their respective repositories and then a backup copy job to shuttle them off to the other 2 locations (1 copy of the backup at every location). So I can't just reduce the concurrent jobs on all the repositories or I will what I assume be in the same position just with less jobs running simultaneously.
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Backup Copy Behavior Change V11

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

I guess the only way to circumvent this problem would be to increase the number of concurrent tasks on the target repository. For more precise analysis, don't hesitate to contact our support team and ask our engineers to find out which resources are unavailable when jobs are running based on debug logs.

Thanks!