Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
scrat
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

GFS and short-term retention policy

Post by scrat »

Hi, I'm sure this question has already been asked, but I can't find the solution, not even in the Veeam documentation.

Do backups with a GFS flag (Y, M or W) count towards the retention period? I mean, if I set up 12 days of retention and I have 12 daily (with Shyntetic Full once a week) and 10 weekly, which option would be saved?

A) GFS counts in the retention:
6 daily (half, since a Shyntetic Full is done every week).
10 weekly

B) GFS does not count in the retention:
12 daily
10 weekly

I know that GFS backups are not deleted by the short-term retention policy, my question is whether they count in the sum of days.

Thank you very much!
Best regards.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2284 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: GFS and short-term retention policy

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi scrat
my question is whether they count in the sum of days.
GFS Backups are not counted for the short term retention. That's why they are documented under Long Term Retention in the guide. You will see Option B, but with 12-14 daily restore points.
One exception, a weekly backups counts toward the short term retention days, if it's within the short term retention period. But they don't get deleted after the short term retention is over, if they still are flagged as weekly and gfs retention is set for the weekly backups for 10 weeks. 10 weeks is longer than the 12 days you have configured :) So they are kept longer.

If you set a short term retention of 12 days, you will have restore points for the last 12-14 days and 10 weekly gfs restore points.
With short term retention set to 14 days, you will have restore points for the last 14-21 days and 10 weekly gfs restore points.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
scrat
Influencer
Liked: 2 times

Re: GFS and short-term retention policy

Post by scrat »

Thanks for the answer @Mildur!!