Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
dextr
Novice
Liked: never

Backup job changing from resource pool to individual VMs

Post by dextr »

I have a Veeam 6 backup job that backs up a resource pool containing 10 VMs. We are in the process of adding a esx host, and we're migrating VMs out of this resource pool in order to get them onto the new host. The new host is part of a new cluster that is configured for EVC, and this is the reason for moving the VMs in such a way; previous hosts will be added to the new cluster when they are free of running VMs.

Anyway... if I edit the backup job and add the 10 VMs individually to the job, and remove the resources pool... will the job still run as normal since all 10 VMs are still in the job?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup job changing from resource pool to individual VMs

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you need to use "Map backup" functionality to continue running backup jobs normally. See more details on our User Guide (page 95). Hope this helps!
dextr
Novice
Liked: never

Post by dextr »

OK, makes sense.
Do I do the "Map backup" on the existing job, or should I create a new job and map to the existing backup files?
Will either choice affect the retention cycle on existing files in the backup? e.g., will existing vib and vrb files still drop off at the end of the cycle?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

dextr wrote:Do I do the "Map backup" on the existing job, or should I create a new job and map to the existing backup files?
It doesn't matter, backup mapping will work in both ways.
dextr wrote:Will either choice affect the retention cycle on existing files in the backup? e.g., will existing vib and vrb files still drop off at the end of the cycle?
Yes, retention policy will still be applied to the mapped backup chain.