Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
herden
Lurker
Liked: never

Simple Deployment

Post by herden »

Hello,

I want to backup 2 VM's which are running on Hyper-V. One is a DC and the other is possibly some kind of APP VMs with different apps running on it, SQL etc. If I understood the best practices correctly, it's recommended that I run VBR on a completely seperate host on seperate hardware? It is not advised to run VBR in a VM on the Hyper-V?

Thanks
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Simple Deployment

Post by PetrM »

Hello and Welcome to Veeam R&D Forums!

You can run Veeam B&R on a VM and I wouldn't expect any issues with this setup. You should not run Veeam B&R directly on the Hyper-V host itself, the limitation is described on our help center:
You must not install Veeam Backup & Replication directly on a Hyper-V host. Such installation may lead to unpredictable system behavior. Instead, install Veeam Backup & Replication on a VM on the host.
Thanks!
rennerstefan
Veeam Software
Liked: 146 times
Full Name: Stefan Renner

Post by rennerstefan »

We it will always be best practice to separate the backup application from source and destination.
But technically you can also run the VBR server as a VM on the same host.
Just keep in mind that loosing the host will also mean loosing the backup server in that case.
So you should at least have your backups stored externally that you are able to recover with a new VBR server in that case.
Stefan Renner

Veeam PMA
herden
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by herden »

Got it. Thank you guys!
vmtech123
Veeam Legend
Liked: 134 times
Full Name: SP

Post by vmtech123 »

Your backups, and Veeam config is what you want to keep.

For me in a DR, I'd stack up a new server/VM, attach the storage and import the drives, install Veeam, restore backup config and let er go.