Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Cloud Connect Hyper-V to VMware

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

Hi
We want to migrate a customer of ours from their datacenter to ours and move them from Hyper-V to VMware in as few steps possible.

Can I connect a new VEEAM B&R server, running in our datacenter, to that same cloud connect account and restore the backups that are stored there? And can that restore land on VMware instead of Hyper-V?

Or is there a better, faster way? Do I maybe first need to migrate their current VEEAM B&R server to us and then have that perform the restores?

Regards
Gabrie
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2223 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Cloud Connect Hyper-V to VMware

Post by Mildur »

Hi Gabrie
Can I connect a new VEEAM B&R server, running in our datacenter, to that same cloud connect account and restore the backups that are stored there? And can that restore land on VMware instead of Hyper-V?
Restoring Hyper-V VMs as a VmWare VM requires Instant Recovery. And Instant Recovery cannot be used from a Cloud Connect Repository. So that option wouldn't work.

Can you copy the backup files from the cloud connect infrastructure to a backup repository connected to the second VBR server in your datacenter and import the backups to do the instant recovery session? If not, transporting the backup server to your datacenter could be the easiest option, depending on how long the transport will take. It's easier if you have customer near your location.

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
GabesVirtualWorld
Expert
Liked: 37 times
Full Name: Gabrie van Zanten

Post by GabesVirtualWorld »

It think the B&R server at the customer site is a VM as well, so yes that would be an option to first migrate that VM and then restore the other VMs.

Importing the backups is an option as well. We're going to look into that.

Thank you!
mjr.epicfail
Service Provider
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Danny de Heer

Post by mjr.epicfail »

Hi Fabian,

I know im hijacking this but we also hit this limitation.
A tenant has several TB's of data that they want to restore as a disaster recovery, the current method (searching and retreiving all relevant VBK en VIB files over SOBR en transfering them to a local VBR repo) has a lot of manual steps and a lot of wait time.

Is there any indication when V2V will be impementen in normal recovery operations in stead of Instant VM?

Kind regards,
Danny
VMCE / Veeam Legend 1*
MarkBoothmaa
Veeam Legend
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Mark Boothman

Post by MarkBoothmaa »

What about agent (Entire Computer) to cloud connect then import the backup file and do instant recovery and migrate to production?
Or import the backup to you VBR and do the instant recovery that way?

We have used that methods successfully in the past when the source side didn't have capacity to deploy VBR.
mjr.epicfail
Service Provider

Post by mjr.epicfail »

Sorry, I forgot to mention these backups are made to a cloud connect environment. I can attach the sobr to a new vbr and restore it that way.

The agent method crossed my mind and would help in testing but not in an actual disaster as they don’t want to use the agent backup method as they have a local repo. That would mean double backup.
VMCE / Veeam Legend 1*
MarkBoothmaa
Veeam Legend
Liked: 49 times
Full Name: Mark Boothman

Post by MarkBoothmaa »

You could import the backup from the CC repo onto your Cloud server and do instant recovery that way.
That way it’s still a singular backup.
mjr.epicfail
Service Provider

Post by mjr.epicfail »

Hi,

That is a possibility, i hope that v12 comes with a feature of instant vm recovery from cloudconnect, that would be a more inclusive solution.
VMCE / Veeam Legend 1*
d3nz
Expert
Liked: 14 times

Post by d3nz »

Hello guys.
I wonder have you at the roadmap of your products these functionality:
1. Cross Platform Replication (VBR <> VCC) between VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V?
2. Self-Service Restoring VMs by tenants from backups at Cloud Connect Repository of SP to VI SP (both for VM backups and agent backups)?
3. Self-Service performing Failback by tenants of his Replicas at VSPC? (now realized only Undo Failover)